Hi from New Zealand

joannadale

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 21, 2008
New Zealand
Hello everyone.
You have no idea how glad I am to have found you and yet I have traveled half way round the world to do so! My grandfather has left me a cottage and land here in New Zealand and I arrived about three weeks ago. My main concern is the wonderful pig I was introduced to yesterday and all the hens that seem to be floating around. On top of all this I have a vegetable garden half the size of a football field. I have started a blog because i thought it would be a helpful way for me to share some of what is going on and hopefully get some sense of what i should do next? Ideas anyone.

Look forward to hearing from some of you and i can also see there is so much here to read already.

Bye for now Joanna.x

[ http://www.gardencottageblog.ruqqa.com][/url]

welcome-byc.gif

Lucky you!

Wow! What a cottage! It's picturebook gorgeous.

Welcome to BYC. You will find lots of friendly people here with lots of good advice should you need any. I built a coop/barn this last summer and started with the chicken thing. We will have a mix of meat breeds and a few showy ones for the DW. So far everything is going very well even with temps well below freezing (-16f forcast for tonight). What is the weather like down there?
Here is my BYC webpage(s)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14471-coop-layout

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC

You will find a few Aussies and NZers in here - many who now live in other parts of the globe (i an an aussie who now lives in Colorado).

Great farm by the way....you are super lucky!

Joanna, I loved reading your blog and your picutures!! What a gorgeous place to live. I wish the best! Keep up your blog it's fantastic!! Welcome to BYC!
Theresa
frow.gif

To Tackyrama:
You have a chicken palace, not a coop! I am going to force my husband to sit down here & take notes on your coop/barn. ( I think I will have to use duct-tape tho!) You did a fantastic job! I asked for him for a cow, pig or horse, he jumped at the chance for chickens....I am also going to get a pair of weeder geese, he just doesn't know it yet!!

Nice place you have there!
smile.png

Look for eggs under bushes, inside or behind any type of hidden areas. Its easiest to catch them when they are roosting. Then perhaps you can pen them up for awhile till they learn to lay in their pen and get use to sleeping in there. Then you can free range them again, and they will go to bed by themselves in their pen.

Back
Top Bottom