Homemade heater for babies...

amporter

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 23, 2007
I am planning to use some old rabbit cages for our new babies (ducks/chicks) when we get them. The weather has been WARM at night and day but now just as we are getting them it's turning too cold (68ish during the day). So what can I use as a heater??? Suggestions?

New babies need a draft-free enclosed brooder with a light for heat. I use a cardboard box and clip-on light with a reflector with a 75 watt regular bulb. The brooder needs to be big enough that the babies have a place to go away from the light if they get too hot. An open cage is not a good idea unless you can find a way to totally enclose it. If it's a rabbit hutch with a nesting area perhaps you could put a light in there. Remember, when babies hatch they need temps at 99*. That can be lowered by 5* a week until reaching room temperature. Otherwise, chicks can get chilled and die.

Thanks. I have access to lots of cardboard boxes so I may go that route. Gonna do some thinking....

How tall does the brooder have to be?

I have a large worm box too that isn't being used.

amporter....my babies are 3 weeks old, and are in a 3 ft high wooden crate....I had to put a top on it, as they can "fly" out already. Just a few more weeks, they are going to the coop. Good luck with yours...they are soo much fun! Think of a top....screen would be better, to get circulation in there, just not a draft!

Back
Top Bottom