How to go about making a creep feeder for baby goslings being raised by mother...

OldSchoolSarge

Chirping
Apr 2, 2024
Southern New York
Ok, so I have a unique situation. I have a mixed flock (ducks, geese, and chickens at the moment) that share a coop at night. I don't currently have a way to separate them. They all free-range during the day. A week ago, I had a mama goose hatch out 9 babies. Sadly, 1 passed at 2 days old (drowned in mama's water bowl, situation was fixed so it couldn't happen again). So, she has 8 babies left. I have been locking her and her babies in a dog crate at night, both for their protection and to keep my ducks/chickens from eating the grower feed crumbles I've been feeding the babies. I'm putting their feed in a feeder that the adult geese can't get their bills into, so they haven't been bothering it, but the ducks can and gobble it up any time they can get to it. So, I want to have food available for the babies when they're locked in the shed, so they get the nutrition they need, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how. Mama is starting to get discontent being locked in at night, and I know she won't like having her babies locked in without her. I'm considering locking the chickens in the dog crate (don't trust them to not hurt the babies, but the ducks seem fine with them) at night and leaving the geese out, but in order to do that, I need to figure out a creep feed situation so babies have access to their food. Any good ideas? It needs to be inaccessible to ducks...🤔

Back
Top Bottom