How to keep button quail tamed into adulthood?

I've never used treats because I want them to eat the high protein feed. I don't think treats are important anyway == I spend as MUCH time with them as possible picking them up and keeping them near my face as possible. My current batch need a lot more "mommy" time to get them to be like my hair-loving boy (sweetpea) ... I really need to put in more time with the little munchkins to get them up to Sweetpea's standards -- he doesn't run and freak out like the others because he knows I'm safe due to alllll the time I spent with him in my hands and sitting on my computer.... LOL.....

and....

Awwwwww Sweetpea is so adorable 😍

How old do you start picking them up or handling them? I've recently started on my quail journey, i have three chicks for about a week now, (they are 11 days old now) and so far i sit beside the brooder everyday and try to talk to them whenever possible but they get so skittish everytime i start cleaning out their homes. I try to clean their cage really slowly with minimal fast actions so that i don't scare them but they will scoot to the other end and start chirping and jumping.

I would really like to tame them so that they don't get so scared and if i can carry and pat them it would be awesome but i dare not pick them up now because they are so small and skittish, I'm scared i might hurt them or they might get even more scared in the future.

Can i have some advice on how to start getting them used to my carrying or handling them (or is it too late now because they are already so skittish and i would just traumatize them further?)?

Awwwwww Sweetpea is so adorable 😍

How old do you start picking them up or handling them? I've recently started on my quail journey, i have three chicks for about a week now, (they are 11 days old now) and so far i sit beside the brooder everyday and try to talk to them whenever possible but they get so skittish everytime i start cleaning out their homes. I try to clean their cage really slowly with minimal fast actions so that i don't scare them but they will scoot to the other end and start chirping and jumping.

I would really like to tame them so that they don't get so scared and if i can carry and pat them it would be awesome but i dare not pick them up now because they are so small and skittish, I'm scared i might hurt them or they might get even more scared in the future.

Can i have some advice on how to start getting them used to my carrying or handling them (or is it too late now because they are already so skittish and i would just traumatize them further?)?
I pick them up on day 1 and then keep on doing it as much as possible. Just make sure your hands are warm and keep them covered, or wrap them in a soft little blankie with only their little heads out and pat their little chin & cheeks with your fingernail -- You'll know they love it when they close their beady little eyes. You must be very consistent so they will believe you're a part of their life all the time.

Oh... when you hold them make sure you're close to the floor because they are very fast little chicks and can jump or crawl out of your hand super quick and fall to the floor! --- Watching a button die of a concussion wouldn't be fun

grumpers hiding.JPG
Grumpers Mar 20,2022.JPG

I pick them up on day 1 and then keep on doing it as much as possible. Just make sure your hands are warm and keep them covered, or wrap them in a soft little blankie with only their little heads out and pat their little chin & cheeks with your fingernail -- You'll know they love it when they close their beady little eyes. You must be very consistent so they will believe you're a part of their life all the time.

Oh... when you hold them make sure you're close to the floor because they are very fast little chicks and can jump or crawl out of your hand super quick and fall to the floor! --- Watching a button die of a concussion wouldn't be fun

View attachment 3059483 View attachment 3059485

Ohhhh! I see i see. Awww its so small and cute. Okay okay, then at their current age it might be too late for me alr? I just tried to pick one up and they were running and jumping and flying everywhere :'(

Also when one gets scared all the other two also starts panicking.

They are okay with eating of of my hands but that's the most contact i can have with them

It's not necessarily too late - they're still young.

Get a chick, wrap it in a soft blankie so it's head is out, talk to it soothingly and stroke it's cheeks. Hold it and keep talking to it and patting it's cheeks. You need to do this for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day with the same chick if you want to tame one. . Make sure you know which chick you want to tame.

It will struggle and try to get away for a few days but it will begin to see it's safe and likes having it's cheeks rubbed

-- you have to do it as often as possible every day, then put it back to eat and drink. It will adjust and start to change if you keep with it.

It's not necessarily too late - they're still young.

Get a chick, wrap it in a soft blankie so it's head is out, talk to it soothingly and stroke it's cheeks. Hold it and keep talking to it and patting it's cheeks. You need to do this for 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a day with the same chick if you want to tame one. . Make sure you know which chick you want to tame.

It will struggle and try to get away for a few days but it will begin to see it's safe and likes having it's cheeks rubbed

-- you have to do it as often as possible every day, then put it back to eat and drink. It will adjust and start to change if you keep with it.
Oh! Okies okies, omgosh, thank you so much for your replies. I will try the methods you mention. If they keep struggling when i hold them, should i let them back to the cage first or continue holding and try to calm them down?

Last edited:
Oh! Okies okies, omgosh, thank you so much for your replies. I will try the methods you mention. If they keep struggling when i hold them, should i let them back to the cage first or continue holding and try to calm them down?
Keep holding it till it calms.. 30 mins at a time.

Back
Top Bottom