I built a turkey coop for my turkeys and they won't come in and out

TheStuffGuy1

Hatching
Apr 11, 2023
I need some ideas form someone, so I got 2 toms and 2 goats well I had to make the hole on the turkey coop small enough that the goats don't get it and big enough for the turkey well with trial and error I got that part down but I have been putting my turkeys in there my self so they would get used to it and when I come up to feed of a morning they are still in the coop and I know they can get out so I open the gate and let them out and they come right out does anyone have any idea as to why that might be?

I need some ideas form someone, so I got 2 toms and 2 goats well I had to make the hole on the turkey coop small enough that the goats don't get it and big enough for the turkey well with trial and error I got that part down but I have been putting my turkeys in there my self so they would get used to it and when I come up to feed of a morning they are still in the coop and I know they can get out so I open the gate and let them out and they come right out does anyone have any idea as to why that might be?
If your saying that the problem is their lack of desire to use the door, they may just be scared. They may feel endangered. I would try putting food right by the doorway or putting treats in or out of the coop. New things like that take time

If your saying that the problem is their lack of desire to use the door, they may just be scared. They may feel endangered. I would try putting food right by the doorway or putting treats in or out of the coop. New things like that take time
So let me explain the situation in more detail lol for some further understanding so for context so you can get the picture we made a gate and put the entrace/hole on it for the turkeys so that away we can go in and out to give them there feed and ETC but we started off with a 15 x 15 hole and the goats could get in so we could not have that so then we had to make it smaller as shown in the second image so that still did not work and the goats could still get in so as shown in the second image what we did was put a peice of wood at the bottom (I did not take a picture of it like that) and the goats could not get in but the turkeys could so we went with it and what we did was put the turkeys in there that night to see if they would get out and mind you this is before we but the feed in there and we cam the next morining to feed and they were out on there own which was great and exactly what we wanted so we went with it but we still wanted to put them up of a evening to roost thinking they would not go in on there own but hoping they would so when we came there that night they were laying on the outside of the coop like they could not get in which they verry well can so we thought it may be just a bit to tight on them so we got ride of the side pieces as shown in the 3rd image and they were able to get in and out of there just fine and the goats could still not get in so I came there this moring and they were still inside so I opened the gate to let them out but why is this I wonder and what could I do to fix that?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    862.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom