I have a chick developing oddly both physically and behaviorally

QueenRuthie

Hatching
May 20, 2024
IMG_6777.jpeg
The chick in the front came with the girls behind her. They’re all one month old, and she’s the same breed as the one of the far left (blue laced red Wyandotte). She’s stood like this since day 1. Physical oddities include long skinny legs, inability to raise head, smushed comb (one little dot at the top), much smaller and feathers not coming in as quickly, feathers are a different pattern than the other 3 of her breed, and very long pointy beak. Her behavioral oddities include still making week-old peep sounds, not as active as the others, and doesn’t roost to sleep. She eats and drinks fine. She made the chick distress sound constantly for the first couple weeks before I learned she loves being held and loved on. Now she’s pretty content overall and very, very sweet. Any idea what’s going on with her or what I should do/look out for? Thanks!

There are always differences in chicks. Hopefully, it is not a skeletal deformity of her spine. Do her legs and feet look normal, or is there any unusual position or bowlegged, knock kneed appearance? Is she eating, drinking, and pooping normally? She might have some failure to thrive or internal organ problem. Does she run around and appear active? I would make sure that she is getting and eating some moistened chick feed. If you suspect any coccidiosis, I would start all on Corid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. It is safe for all. You can’t do anything about skeletal deformities, but let us know how she gets along.

There are always differences in chicks. Hopefully, it is not a skeletal deformity of her spine. Do her legs and feet look normal, or is there any unusual position or bowlegged, knock kneed appearance? Is she eating, drinking, and pooping normally? She might have some failure to thrive or internal organ problem. Does she run around and appear active? I would make sure that she is getting and eating some moistened chick feed. If you suspect any coccidiosis, I would start all on Corid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5 days. It is safe for all. You can’t do anything about skeletal deformities, but let us know how she gets along.
Yes, she’s otherwise normal. Her head will move back with my hand, but she naturally stands like the picture always. She chases things she sees and eats, drinks and poops normally. I check on her frequently and if something starts to seem more off, I’ll intervene. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom