I was told these were Mexican Game Hens?

AmyLang

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 15, 2012
Hello all! I'm new to the forum here. I have 6 hens that I am curious about. I was informed that they are Mexican Game Hens and that they will lay eggs. (molting now, and I believe that they are more seasonal layers and won't lay during the winter?). The guy I got them from says that they were laying brown and blue eggs before the seasons changed. They were born last March I believe. I have 4 good egg-laying hens aside from these girls that will lay through the winter...curious as to what others know about these...if they are egg layers...and any other information one might have on them. I might find them new homes if they are not going to produce many eggs at all.

Thanks!

welcome-byc.gif
Definately games or game crosses of some sort. They will most likely make excellent broody hens and mothers.

Game hens aren't the consistent layers that hatchery production birds are, but they lay fairly well. What they excell at is foraging for food--less feed bill if you can free range-- and raising babies. They're a good choice to keep if you want to have broody hens to raise chicks.

If you don't want them, I'll take them off your hands! They are game hens, and don't be surprised to find cream color eggs. (Maybe green) My hens are very consistent layers..the eggs are size small, but the yolks are the same size as a large egg. They may be upset from the move, and once they are secure will lay again. They are good broodies and great mamas. Very thrifty on feed as well. You have some special hens...enjoy them. If you are patient, you can coax them to hand feed and win their trust..once you do so, they'll remember you.

I just saw the responses....thank you. I am enjoying them. As they adjust well, they are becomming a bit more friendly. So it seems that all it took to get some to lay was to post! I am not sure if I have one or two of the six laying now...but they are cream and green so far. The guy that I got them from said one or two might lay blue? I have had 3 or 4 cream colored in the past week, and 2 green eggs. The 2 green were slightly different size, so not sure if the same bird layed 2 days apart, or if it was 2 different birds. My guess is the same one. I also added 2 RIR and 6 Plymouth Rocks to the coop last weekend, so the mix-up in the coop might adjust the laying for a bit. I did add a Plymouth Rock Roo to the mix (not intending too, but when we were transferring birds...a roo got in the mix and the guy I got them from begged me to just take him at no charge). I'm thinking that I might put the Roo and the game hens in a separate area come spring and see if I can get some of the girls to become broody and raise some babies on their own :) One of the girls recently has started to hang out around the nesting boxes quite often. I'm wondering if she's the one consistently laying the cream colored eggs? Not sure just yet. I'm new to this and have been reading up on doing so. Thoughts on this from anyone? Thank you for what information you have given me. I am really enjoying reading up and seeing all of the information available here! Again, thank you all!

I have key west chickens. They have a fair amt of 'game' in them. They are excellent layers if you take their eggs every day. If you keep them picked up, they lay just as well as our leghorns, with smaller eggs of course. If you leave the eggs out though, they will go broody very quickly. They do love to raise babies!!

They look like game hen/EE. The ones with pea combs (i.e. those without big combs) will likely lay blue or green eggs. Congrats! With the addition of your brown egg;-layers, you're going to have quite then colorful egg basket
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom