IA here

Hey everyone. Xrayman sorry to hear about your chicken loss. Wow. 11 days is a long time without power. What is the Waverly Swap like? I usually go to the one in Burlington. They seem to be on the same weekend. We stay at my parents so then it is only a 45 minute drive in the morning.

Hi all, My name is Jenn. Just came over from EZ board. I figured I could go back and forth. I am from Brandon, about 30 minutes north of Cedar Rapids right off 360. I have 1 horse, 1 donkey, 4 geese, 16 eggs incubating now, about 25 chickens and banties, 6 turkeys, about 6 or 7 cats 2 of which are preggers, and 5 dogs and 4 puppies. I used to have goats but the DH said NO MORE!!! They head butted to much or climbed over everything. We are planning on getting a piglet and a baby lamb for my son this spring. Hopefully I can find both at Waverly. I also have 9 poults,6 guinea, and 6 silkie, and 4 frizzle chicks ordered for June. There is a great guy from just North of Waverly that has everything your little heart desires for reasonable prices too. I am getting a different gander from him at Waverly. I dont know if he sells hatching eggs though. Oh, I also have a dozen guinea eggs that should be here today or tomorrow. Those will go under some broodies that I have. I love animals. I also have 4 kids and am a stay at home mom. My kids are step-son 14, daughter 11, son 4, son 15 months... I also watch a 11 month old, and a 5 month old. They keep me pretty busy. I cant wait until it warms up so that I can take the kids outside...
cool.png
Jenn

Hello Everyone! I'm from Monona, IA and am pretty new to this chicken raising thing
big_smile.png
I currently have 21 cornish rocks and 21 americaunas. In a couple of weeks I will be butchering the cornish rock. I'm not looking forward to that. Does anyone know of a meat locker in my area that does butchering and processing?

I'm hoping to get some new chicks after we are done butchering. When is the Waverly swap meet and where? I've never heard of it before. Well nice to know there are some chicken people in my area.
Melanie

Hi, I'm from Cresco, Iowa. Its over by Decorah, if anyone knows where either of them are. Weare also new to chicken raising, as we just moved out here to an acerage in Febuary. Right now I have 40 chickens. 10 bantam chicks that are still in the brroder, 10 Cornish Rocks chicks(4 [4 are 7 weeks old and te other ones 4 weeks old] of which will be butchered soon, and I"m not going to be there when its done, thankfully), 4 Barred Rock Chicks, 4 Hardy Concord Chicks, 4 Rhode Island Red Chicks, 3 Araucana chicks. Then we have 2 Americana pullets which are 3 or 4 months old. Then we have two bantam hens and a rooster.

There are butchering places, around where I live, but I wouldn't think you would want to drive all the way here to get the butchered. I wouldnt have any idea if there was one in Monona or not..

The waverly swapmeet, i think is September 23rd or 2nd or something in September. I would have to go check the calander to be sure. Its in Waverly at the fairgrounds. It has a pretty good turnout, I enjoyed it. There was another one in Harpers Ferry, that happens again later this year, and that wasnt as good as the one at Waverly.

Hey all, For those of you that would like to go to Waverly the fall swap is Sept. 23. I did not go to last falls. I was told it is not as big as the spring one. I think it might be better this year for chicken people since there were hardly any chicks at the spring one. I am sure the april ice and snow storm had something to do with it. Just remember to get there early!!! I also agree with the Harpers Ferry swap. We went last year and I was VERY disappointed. It was about a 2 to 3 hour drive for us and definately not worth it. We did go to Cabelas since we were so close..
big_smile.png
Also for anyone that likes to go to the little piddly swaps we have a couple a month. Just remember that these usually only have 10 to 20 groups show up with anything for sale. But if you dont have anything else to do on a Sunday they can be fun. Usually it is 2 a person to get in.
June 10 Walker Sale Barn
June 17 Aurora city park
August 12 Walker
August 19 Aurora
Sept 9 Walker
Sept 16 Aurora
Sept 23 Waverly
Sept 30 Vinton Fairgrounds
Oct 7 Masonville across from the elevator
Oct 14 Walker
Oct 21 Aurora

I went to the Aurora one once, I found some chicks and they had many other animals. Most of the time these land on Sundays that I have to go to Charles City to get my daughter so it is to much trying to go to both. I do plan on going to the June 10 one in Walker though. I have a gander that I need to sell. If anyone needs a Giant dewlap/emden gander I will have one for sale. Otherwise I think we will have to eat him. He is nice but my female is his sister and for what ever reason he is not mating with her, which is probably better. I just got her a new boyfriend so this one will have to go so she will mate to the other. I originally had a couple africans that were top geese and I have a few babies from them. They are like all little swaps you never know how many will be there. Kinda nice sometimes to though. Jenn

Nice to see more Iowans here:) I know where both Cresco and Decorah are. Mabes pizza is the best unfortunately I don't get there much but yum yum ha ha. Right now I have 2 very broody silkies so I gave in have 12 eggs coming 6 D'Andvers and an assorted mix from Napa. 1 of the silkies has been sitting for about a month and a half and i can't break her. the other about 2 weeks and she is meaner than a hornet right now. Thankfully I have found some who will be starting a small flock that will take extra chicks or roos since I can't have a roo:( So hatching I will do. or if anyone here wants a few let me know:D

Back
Top Bottom