Ideal Poultry (Cameron Tx) Routing to Arizona?

springvalley123

Free Ranging
9 Years
May 22, 2015
Northwest Phoenix area
I ordered some chicks from Ideal which is in Cameron Tx. They quickly arrived and left the Austin distribution center, but that was at 10pm Tuesday 3/8. From there, do you think they'd be routed straight to the big Phoenix DC, or would they go to Dallas then Phx?? (I live north of Phx, so from Phx they go to Prescott valley or to my post office.)

I couldn't find any info, but I'd imagine that Austin is also a state hub so it would go to Phoenix from there. I'm not sure, seems logical though. (But it's a government entity, how often are government entities logical?)
that's what I'm hoping (the hub idea). I was quite shocked to see the label created yesterday evening, they're supposed to be hatching today! but I ordered assortments, so maybe that's why they filled the order a day early.

I was quite shocked to see the label created yesterday evening, they're supposed to be hatching today! but I ordered assortments, so maybe that's why they filled the order a day early.
I've ordered from Ideal several times, and that seems usual for them:
the chicks actually ship the evening before "hatch day."
(So the chicks would actually be hatching on Sunday and Tuesday, even though they list hatch days as Monday and Wednesday.)

UGH...Ideal sent them priority, not express. being in the south, many DCs are being consolidated, so the chicks are delayed. I'll be called tomorrow to pick up a silent box. Two other people got chicks today, same hatch date, pleasantly chirping, from Iowa. The post office says the delay is due to being in the south.

UGH...Ideal sent them priority, not express.
They always send them priority.

Express would not help.
https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm
The Post Office will give a refund for late delivery of express mail items, with a list of exceptions. One of the exceptions:
"The shipment contained live animals and was delivered or delivery was attempted within 3 days of the date of mailing."

So Express Mail is not guaranteed to get there any sooner than Priority would, when it contains live animals (like chicks.)

I'll be called tomorrow to pick up a silent box.
If they were shipped on the evening of Tuesday the 8th, and you get a call the morning of Friday the 11th, the box might not be silent.

I've gotten quite a few boxes of chicks that spent that long in the mail and were fine.

(No guarantees, but don't give up hope yet.)

They always send them priority.

Express would not help.
https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/604.htm
The Post Office will give a refund for late delivery of express mail items, with a list of exceptions. One of the exceptions:
"The shipment contained live animals and was delivered or delivery was attempted within 3 days of the date of mailing."

So Express Mail is not guaranteed to get there any sooner than Priority would, when it contains live animals (like chicks.)

If they were shipped on the evening of Tuesday the 8th, and you get a call the morning of Friday the 11th, the box might not be silent.

I've gotten quite a few boxes of chicks that spent that long in the mail and were fine.

(No guarantees, but don't give up hope yet.)
Thanks! this was supposed to be a much needed pleasant surprise (what breed/sex, they're an assortment!!) I'll try to stay positive. I was bummed, because I thought by ordering closer to home I'd help shorten the journey. Chicks from Iowa, further away, would have made it in two days. But not from Texas to Arizona...

Back
Top Bottom