In the nesting box this morning.

jennaveewhit

Chirping
May 15, 2022
This thing was in the nesting box this morning. I have been free ranging our birds and they have enjoyed the woods lately. Anyway it could be a small animal one passed through the vent? Anyone have other thoughts on what this gross thing is? Just curious about your opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_7482.jpeg
    IMG_7482.jpeg
    323.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_7483.jpeg
    IMG_7483.jpeg
    291.9 KB · Views: 18
This thing was in the nesting box this morning. I have been free ranging our birds and they have enjoyed the woods lately. Anyway it could be a small animal one passed through the vent? Anyone have other thoughts on what this gross thing is? Just curious about your opinions.
I'm also going with lash egg or reproductive material of sorts.. small animals don't pass through digestion looking like that.

That looks like a lash egg. Is it possible for you to cut it open?
I cut it open and it had liquid inside. Here are the photos. Although it is certainly gross I’m learning something new and I appreciate that! Will the hen be okay?

Attachments

• IMG_7484.jpeg
    IMG_7484.jpeg
    318 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7485.jpeg
    IMG_7485.jpeg
    264.1 KB · Views: 16
I cut it open and it had liquid inside. Here are the photos. Although it is certainly gross I’m learning something new and I appreciate that! Will the hen be okay?
That is a lash egg. Hens that pass lash eggs normally have life threatening infections in the oviduct. @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock probably have more information. I had a hen lay a lash egg, and 4 days later she passed away.

Oh no 😟 I’m not entirely sure which hen it came from and it’s raining out otherwise I’d hang out with them and see if one is acting off. I do suspect my Isa Brown as I have heard they have short life expectancy. That would be so sad as she’s the sweetest bird☹️

I agree that is lash egg material from salpingitis or inflammation of the oviduct. Many times this is not even known about until a chicken is butchered or dies, and necropsy is performed. So, it is not a death sentence right away, but it can be a common cause of death. Do some reading on the subject. Note if any hens are lethargic or separating themselves, and less active. Some may develop swelling in the lower belly below the vent, between the legs.

Keep your coop clean, and droppings raked and stirred, adding fresh bedding often. Do a complete coop clean out twice a year if you have a lot of birds. You don’t have to try and sterilize things, but just keep things fresh as possible. If it smells of ammonia, then perhaps a clean out is needed. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/causes-of-lash-eggs-salpingitis-by/

I lean toward Lash Egg/Salpingitis as well, but it also looks like some membranes wrapped together. It's not quite at the caseous pus egg stage yet...

Hopefully you've caught this early. If you know which hen passed the material, I'd try giving an antibiotic. Amoxicillin would be a good choice if you can find it or if you have a vet that can prescribe it.

Back
Top Bottom