Incubation time!

Soulsinabottle

Chirping
May 18, 2023
Okay everyone.

I have just gotten my Myshire jumbo eggs and they are resting so that they can go in my incubator. I have a borotto lumia 16 with a probe thermometer and a probe thermo hydrometer in there to make sure of temp and humidity.

Tomorrow will be day 1. Wish me luck and I will post updates as I have them!

Attachments

• 20230601_163045.jpg
    20230601_163045.jpg
    773 KB · Views: 43
Yay! So exciting! I’ll be following along on your journey!

I’ve never had quail, but I’ve always wanted to try raising them! I am actually following along on @Mallards and Quail ’s quail hatch as well! They are hatching Gambel’s quail, so they are a little (or maybe a lot??) different, but still very fun to watch! (Here’s the link in case anyone else wants to follow as well…
Thread 'Quail hatch. Follow along.'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/quail-hatch-follow-along.1574512/)

Best of luck, keep us updated! :D :clap

Okay everyone.

I have just gotten my Myshire jumbo eggs and they are resting so that they can go in my incubator. I have a borotto lumia 16 with a probe thermometer and a probe thermo hydrometer in there to make sure of temp and humidity.

Tomorrow will be day 1. Wish me luck and I will post updates as I have them!
Good luck on your hatch. I'll be following along as well. If you ever need help @Nabiki is an expert on old world quail. (Coturnix and buttons)

Good luck on your hatch. I'll be following along as well. If you ever need help @Nabiki is an expert on old world quail. (Coturnix and buttons)
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I'm happy to pass along my experiences and what I've learned.

Hey everyone, I'm back with an update. I put 59 eggs in the incubator and today when they went into lockdown there was only 5 that candled as not developed. So far I've gotten good odds! Here is the lockdown pic!

Pics as I get hatching chicks will come!
That’s awesome! Definitely keep us updated!!

It seems that many people are able to get a pretty good hatch rate with quail… is this a coincidence or is it normal to get a higher hatch rate than chickens?

That’s awesome! Definitely keep us updated!!

It seems that many people are able to get a pretty good hatch rate with quail… is this a coincidence or is it normal to get a higher hatch rate than chickens?
It's more like a mixture of luck, skill, and coincidence lol. Although, I have had hatch rates in the 80% + area with chickens.

So far we've had 34 out of 54 hatch, 2 sadly didn't make it and passed and there is one more that is looking kinda off. It can't seem to stay on it's feet, so if it doesn't start getting better I'll likely end up culling it rather than let it suffer. Hoping more of the eggs hatch out because I'd love to get a higher hatch rate.

As of the start of day 20 if incubation we have hatched out 39 babies, but I just checked the last few eggs we have and 1 has pipped so who knows!

Attachments

• 20230621_103854.jpg
    20230621_103854.jpg
    940.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom