Indoor chicken coop

Pics
Dec 22, 2017
Northern Ohio
Hello, we recently came upon a young hen that needed rescue. She was found in a snow bank in a driveway all by herself. (possibly dropped by a hawk) Regardless, my fiance and I had chickens before and decided to take care of her. We plan to get a new set of baby chicks in the spring anyway.
We are now running into a problem. We have a chicken coop outside but we are not fully confident with how secure it is and had planned to fix it up come spring for the babies. We feel as if our only option is to temporarily keep her in an indoor chicken coop until spring when we will be able to fix up her permanent home and let her live with our new flock when we get them.
Is this possible? We will make the indoor coop be around four feet tall and four to five feet long and wide. Planning on using a horse stall mat as the flooring and chicken wire all the way around. Then some for the top. We will put down newspaper and then wood chips that will get cleaned and replaced regularly. We feel like having her inside for this short time might also have the benefit of making her become more friendly. Am I missing anything? Any advice to make this work? Thank you so much for your help!!!

indoor chicken coop
Indoor Chicken.jpg

In your house? No way would I contemplate this! The dander and the smell would be my undoing. No matter how clean you keep things, that chicken dander is like a fine oily silt that covers every surface, including the vertical ones. If you don't have lung problems now, you may have by spring. What about building a chicken tractor that would be predator safe, and putting that in your coop. You can use it for her now, and use it for the chicks in the spring.

In your house? No way would I contemplate this! The dander and the smell would be my undoing. No matter how clean you keep things, that chicken dander is like a fine oily silt that covers every surface, including the vertical ones. If you don't have lung problems now, you may have by spring. What about building a chicken tractor that would be predator safe, and putting that in your coop. You can use it for her now, and use it for the chicks in the spring.
Do you really think it will be that bad for one chicken? I was hoping since she's a lone chicken we wouldn't have too much of a problem with that.

Back
Top Bottom