operachicken82

In the Brooder
Sep 20, 2018
Greetings all!! I am a new member and a new chicken owner! :D I have loved chickens since I was a child and we raised them (free range) on our family farm for most of my life up until my mother passed away. Well, I now have 5 two week old hens/chicks. I got them when they were one day old and they are doing amazing. So, here is my situation. I recently married my hubby and we live in his beautiful home in a fancy neighborhood in Dallas and they don't allow chickens. Well the HOA doesn't allow chickens. We plan on living in this home for at least 10-15 more years and want to move once the kiddos graduate high school so... we are planning on making part of our unused garage into a chicken coop for them to stay in while we are at work. Chicken diapers when they are in the house with us and supervised outdoor time in the backyard each day when I am home. Has anyone had success with using their garage for a chicken coop? Does anyone else keep chickens even though they legally aren't allowed to? I understand the risk involved and have already made arrangements if they need to be rehomed but I am going to do my best to stay incognito with my stealth chickens and just need ideas on successful ways to stay stealthy and building an indoor coop! Thanks again!

Attachments

• DSCN0349.JPG
    DSCN0349.JPG
    284.1 KB · Views: 34
Greetings all!! I am a new member and a new chicken owner! :D I have loved chickens since I was a child and we raised them (free range) on our family farm for most of my life up until my mother passed away. Well, I now have 5 two week old hens/chicks. I got them when they were one day old and they are doing amazing. So, here is my situation. I recently married my hubby and we live in his beautiful home in a fancy neighborhood in Dallas and they don't allow chickens. Well the HOA doesn't allow chickens. We plan on living in this home for at least 10-15 more years and want to move once the kiddos graduate high school so... we are planning on making part of our unused garage into a chicken coop for them to stay in while we are at work. Chicken diapers when they are in the house with us and supervised outdoor time in the backyard each day when I am home. Has anyone had success with using their garage for a chicken coop? Does anyone else keep chickens even though they legally aren't allowed to? I understand the risk involved and have already made arrangements if they need to be rehomed but I am going to do my best to stay incognito with my stealth chickens and just need ideas on successful ways to stay stealthy and building an indoor coop! Thanks again!

I would recommend moving or rehoming the chickens. It is important to recognize and follow your laws and ordinances in your area. You can get into trouble with this later. Congrats on the marriage! :)

I totally get the urge to do stealth chickens, but it is going to be stressful and challenging to maintain. Plus I worry about how hot garages can get. Another consideration, you say you are planning on kids, you may have a hard time convincing them that it's not ok to break the rules, when you are blatantly doing so. Instead, maybe you can start a movement to change the HOA rules.

I don’t get it ? So you can have chickens ? You’d never be able to get away with hiding chickens , have you heard the “ laying song” my coop is far away from my house and I hear them in my house.

Not a good idea at all , not to mention the being a bad example to kids someday ....

Is this Local or HOA rules you posted? The HOA can still enforce their rules even if local says it's ok to have them which were agreed to before being allowed to move in. You could always talk to the HOA about an exemption but don't think it would be good to be forced to move because you want something they say no to. Sorry to say but doing it against the rules is not a good idea so it's up to you to choose which is more important the house or the chickens, which is hard because now new spouse has to be take into consideration too as well as future kids.

Back
Top Bottom