Indoor coop recommendations

CheepPeepers

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
So one of my hens, tiny little Japanese bantam named Jafar, got attacked by what we'd been guessing was a hawk or crow a few weeks ago when the weather was nice, and we brought her indoors temporarily til she was healed. (She's fine, her eye was bruised and she had a small puncture wound on her neck, but she's fully healed now.)

Anyway, she'd been staying in a dog crate with an added perch since it was temporary, til today when I went to put her back in. The other chickens went after her the second I turned my back, and she's now got a couple spots on her face and neck that are bright red/bleeding. She didn't let me pick her up, so i went to leave, planning to keep an eye on them from the house, but when I closed the door and turned to leave she flew and latched onto the cage door and ended up flying out and landing on my arm when I opened it, so I cant leave her in there, especially with bright red blood on her. (If it weren't for the rooster screeching and hiding id have wondered if it wasn't one of the other hens who gave her the initial injuries with how she was acting around the flock). So now she's back in the dog crate.

So im looking into making her a house chicken, as we definitely can't afford another coop (especially in the winter, for one tiny little hen). Litterbox, leash train her, possibly chicken diapers (dont know the first thing about this one but I assume its to help litter train), the whole deal.
We have other birds, two parrots, and plenty of parrot supplies, but parrot cages won't work, as those rely on verticality and the floor grates are not designed for chicken poop.

I was considering a rabbit hutch, as you can get pretty large ones for 100-200$, and covering the sides with a sheet to prevent dust buildup in the house and help insulate, but really I don't know the first thing about rabbit hutches. Something relatively easy to clean, multiple level would probably be fine (never had one but it gives her more space) and fairly inexpensive (I saw a few nice ones for less than $200, we're tight on money).
I think I was told 2 square feet per bird. So most off the ground rabbit hutches should be large enough for her.

Are there any specific things I should look out for in an indoor coop? Or any recommendations in the meantime? Any recommendations for housing an indoor chicken that might be different than other indoor birds?
Id like her to be as comfortable as possible within our budget, she seems to like the dog crate but thats not very easy to clean.

It is only going to house Jafar (unless something else happens to another bantam) and she can fit in one hand. She's about the size of a very rotund sun conure lol.

Thank you for any help!

I have no ideas for "house chickens" but maybe adapting something similar to the cat playhouse things.
There will always be some squabbling upon reintroduction. Usually it looks znd sounds worse than it is. I would put her in a wire dog crate jnside your run for several hours a day so the other birds get used to her again. By the end of the day or within 48hrs she should have a much easier transition to outdoor life.

I have no ideas for "house chickens" but maybe adapting something similar to the cat playhouse things.
There will always be some squabbling upon reintroduction. Usually it looks znd sounds worse than it is. I would put her in a wire dog crate jnside your run for several hours a day so the other birds get used to her again. By the end of the day or within 48hrs she should have a much easier transition to outdoor life.
Oh! I'll definitely look into those! Thank you very much for your help and tips on reintroduction!

I'll have to see if I can get ahold of a wire crate, all of ours are pretty big and plastic/collapsible with just the metal door, so I cant imagine cleaning when the flock gets through with it lol
Definitely seemed bad, and I worry because she's so small. Ive never had to reintroduce hens into a flock before so this part of chicken keeping is definitely new to me.

So... The actual recommendation is 4 sq ft/ bird coop, PLUS 10 sq ft/ bird run. 2 sq ft is way too small, under any circumstances. Do you have a garage where you can keep the bird, or other covered site, like a carport?

Buying Pre-fab is going to be very hard on the budget.

But if you have a roofed space, all you need is a frame, a way to keep the bird inside it, and a way to block winds (assuming you don't have walls) in the prevailing directions, plus a way to gather droppings to speed cleaning. If you have a predator protected location, a plastic drop cloth and bedding material takes care of your waste issues, some 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings make the frame, then some plastic fencing provides the walls. No need to glue the PVC together, friction will do the work - and zip ties can be used to secure the fencing to the frame. Heck, you can even use large heavy duty garbage bags as wind walls, those are the most expensive component, after the fencing.

Its ugly, but its fast and will do the trick. You don't even need to cut the netting, as long as you keep your walls 6' long or shorter (though you will need something to keep the chicken from going up, like an old sheet or beach towel, secured with a few clothes pins - which can also form a wind wall on one or two sides. As temporary as you need it to be, and can be built upon as time/budget, and need require.

That doesn't help address the "chickens are social animals" concerns - a single chicken is a problem chicken, but I've no solutions there.

and as follow up, I use something like what I just described as a grow out pen in my barn. Currently in its (roughly) 6' x 3.5' configuration. I also assemble it, with different pipes, in a 6' x 10' configuration, depending on how many birds I need to house at the time. During the day, I bring it outside, where my younger birds can see/be seen and interact (with the protection of a fence) with my older birds, which helps with integration. I'll grab a photo in a moment. They are NOT attractive. But they work.

This one was made with half inch PVC, you can see the warp/sag. Additionally I built in a door which I am not completely happy with. I could add some screws and improve its operation considerably, but then it would not be completely reusable. The sides are a much thinner material then I suggested for your use, they are scraps left over from walling off my garden to keep the chickens out. But they were four foot tall, so cutting my uprights at 3 foot 6 in plus the thickness of the PVC top and bottom brought me very close to the wall material's 4-foot height and allowed me to secure with zip ties quite effectively.

16117765686373342837777502877377.jpg

Last edited:
Oh! I'll definitely look into those! Thank you very much for your help and tips on reintroduction!

I'll have to see if I can get ahold of a wire crate, all of ours are pretty big and plastic/collapsible with just the metal door, so I cant imagine cleaning when the flock gets through with it lol
Definitely seemed bad, and I worry because she's so small. Ive never had to reintroduce hens into a flock before so this part of chicken keeping is definitely new to me.
No problem. The key is usually to allow the flock time be around her and feed next to her while keeping her safe. I do this with every brood we raise and upon release with the grown ups my yougsters receive minimal punishment.

Pecking orders are established pretty quickly especially if she is small or less aggressive.
Good luck!

So... The actual recommendation is 4 sq ft/ bird coop, PLUS 10 sq ft/ bird run. 2 sq ft is way too small, under any circumstances. Do you have a garage where you can keep the bird, or other covered site, like a carport?

Buying Pre-fab is going to be very hard on the budget.

But if you have a roofed space, all you need is a frame, a way to keep the bird inside it, and a way to block winds (assuming you don't have walls) in the prevailing directions, plus a way to gather droppings to speed cleaning. If you have a predator protected location, a plastic drop cloth and bedding material takes care of your waste issues, some 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings make the frame, then some plastic fencing provides the walls. No need to glue the PVC together, friction will do the work - and zip ties can be used to secure the fencing to the frame. Heck, you can even use large heavy duty garbage bags as wind walls, those are the most expensive component, after the fencing.

Its ugly, but its fast and will do the trick. You don't even need to cut the netting, as long as you keep your walls 6' long or shorter (though you will need something to keep the chicken from going up, like an old sheet or beach towel, secured with a few clothes pins - which can also form a wind wall on one or two sides. As temporary as you need it to be, and can be built upon as time/budget, and need require.

That doesn't help address the "chickens are social animals" concerns - a single chicken is a problem chicken, but I've no solutions there.
Oh man thank you for that! If we get her litter trained I dont mind her roaming the house like we've had birds/parrots do in the past tbh, especially since she will be able to follow me outside which was too dangerous for the parrots. Im mostly just looking for a spot for her to roost at night or days we can't have her out and have her comfortable.

We do have a garage, ill have to rearrange a lot for her, but thats fine. As long as it works, is easy to clean and is affordable thats all I need, it doesnt need to look nice lol. Im definitely gonna try reintroducing her again, but this is going to help so much, especially if I need to isolate another hen for whatever reason. Thank you very much!

On them being social animals thats definitely something I was concerned about. With chickens in the past that we free ranged the Japanese bantam and some of the other bantams even broke off from the flock and mostly kept to themselves, even going as far as refusing to go back in the coop at night. So ill admit I dont really know much at all about the social aspects beyond the basics. Realistically to hit the most comfort for social needs, how many chickens should be housed together?
We do have another bantam I might be able to bring in and house with her, (though she's lower in the pecking order than Jafar), and of course my family. We only have 7 chickens, two roosters, one being very aggressive, and they all free range when the weather is nice.

Personally I would introduce them while they are sleeping. They won't fight while they are sleeping and less likely to do so if they have been snuggling together all night when they wake up.
I don't think keeping it indoors is the best plan. The only downside with my approach is that you can't be there - well you could if you wake up bright and early... Up to you, just my opinion on what I'd do to get it back in the flock.

Personally I would introduce them while they are sleeping. They won't fight while they are sleeping and less likely to do so if they have been snuggling together all night when they wake up.
I don't think keeping it indoors is the best plan. The only downside with my approach is that you can't be there - well you could if you wake up bright and early... Up to you, just my opinion on what I'd do to get it back in the flock.

This is a good idea! I might combine this with the other suggestion of a smaller cage to keep her safe, and put her in at night after the others are used to her again.

Back
Top Bottom