Injured? Sick? I’m so afraid of losing her :(

Pics

Ashrhod710

Chirping
Aug 19, 2020
East Texas
My favorite hen came out of the coop limping yesterday and by the time I got back with a dog crate to bring her inside for a rest period she was laying in the corner of the coop and not really wanting to move much. Anyways I brought her inside and she ate tons of food and water and has been eating and drinking regularly. However she won’t stand much and unless I stand her up she stands with the limping leg behind her kind of. ( picture one and two I’ve checked her foot and don’t really see any signs of Bumblefoot (picture three) she seems to try to move it when standing up but if she does move the leg goes behind her and she just stops and lays down. Since this started her feathers around her vent have gotten dirty because she doesn’t get up to potty, although her droppings seem normal. She’s not egg bound. She laid yesterday and today. I can post a picture of her vent if requested because it is kind of eww and I don’t want to upset anyone. I’m changing her bedding every couple of hours, and standing her up so she uses her leg a little so the muscle won’t atrophy. I’m just worried sick and can’t think of what it could be and how to handle it. Our vet doesn’t have any spots open for couple weeks because he’s out of state and The others Ive called don’t see livestock.

Attachments

• 7B528A40-3C3A-4A01-A0C5-EF293FB5BA72.jpeg
    7B528A40-3C3A-4A01-A0C5-EF293FB5BA72.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 5F2AD083-9A55-4E6D-A69A-B6492E052392.jpeg
    5F2AD083-9A55-4E6D-A69A-B6492E052392.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 27
  • 9BF9DA9F-C99E-4559-969D-CFF46DAA841C.jpeg
    9BF9DA9F-C99E-4559-969D-CFF46DAA841C.jpeg
    614.1 KB · Views: 27
Its probably a sprain that will clear up on its own. If you keep her chill an don moving for a few days or a week with food and water close by, then she should get better right quick! Put some vitamins in her water and put her out in the grass a little bit per day supervised, so she could get some fresh air. Just keep her separated form the flock and when you put her in the grass make sure her kennel is clean and no other chickens are around to pick on her or try to do the humpty dump. Good luck! Avery

Its probably a sprain that will clear up on its own. If you keep her chill an don moving for a few days or a week with food and water close by, then she should get better right quick! Put some vitamins in her water and put her out in the grass a little bit per day supervised, so she could get some fresh air. Just keep her separated form the flock and when you put her in the grass make sure her kennel is clean and no other chickens are around to pick on her or try to do the humpty dump. Good luck! Avery
Oh I do hope so!! Not that I want her hurting but I’d rather a sprain than another issue. :/. Can they have anything for pain? I know dogs can have aspirin, but I also know birds are a whole other ball game.

My favorite hen came out of the coop limping yesterday and by the time I got back with a dog crate to bring her inside for a rest period she was laying in the corner of the coop and not really wanting to move much. Anyways I brought her inside and she ate tons of food and water and has been eating and drinking regularly. However she won’t stand much and unless I stand her up she stands with the limping leg behind her kind of. ( picture one and two I’ve checked her foot and don’t really see any signs of Bumblefoot (picture three) she seems to try to move it when standing up but if she does move the leg goes behind her and she just stops and lays down. Since this started her feathers around her vent have gotten dirty because she doesn’t get up to potty, although her droppings seem normal. She’s not egg bound. She laid yesterday and today. I can post a picture of her vent if requested because it is kind of eww and I don’t want to upset anyone. I’m changing her bedding every couple of hours, and standing her up so she uses her leg a little so the muscle won’t atrophy. I’m just worried sick and can’t think of what it could be and how to handle it. Our vet doesn’t have any spots open for couple weeks because he’s out of state and The others Ive called don’t see livestock.
I have seen a video on YouTube, of how to make a chicken sling from a clothes basket, an old towel and some clips to attach the towel to the basket. You cut holes in the towel for the legs to hang through, I bet you can make a cut out as well for droppings to fall thru as well. Sounds like it would help you and her both a lot right now, until you see the Vet.

Oh I do hope so!! Not that I want her hurting but I’d rather a sprain than another issue. :/. Can they have anything for pain? I know dogs can have aspirin, but I also know birds are a whole other ball game.
You could give her baby aspirin coated on some meal worms or dissolved in water. You could giver her CBD too. You can get CBD fo birds on amazon, kinda expensive but may be worth it.

I will find some baby aspirin and get some On some meal worms for her. Should I leave her messy bum be for now? Or should I try to clean her up? I don’t want to stress her out and the only way I can think of to clean her up would be like I would on chicks with pasty butt. Soak her bum in some warm water and then try to massage the feathers to get the poo off....but I don’t know if that would stress her out more. It’s not blocking her vent or anything. Just messy and I don’t know if she’s not liking it.... or if it will cause problems.

I will find some baby aspirin and get some in her water.
I have seen a video on YouTube, of how to make a chicken sling from a clothes basket, an old towel and some clips to attach the towel to the basket. You cut holes in the towel for the legs to hang through, I bet you can make a cut out as well for droppings to fall thru as well. Sounds like it would help you and her both a lot right now, until you see the Vet.
Im actually loving this idea. I could actually set this up so she could use it for a large portion of the day and I could take her out for a bit every now and then just so she gets into different positions and doesn’t start hurting....I know if I’m sick and lay in bed for too long I start hurting ... I would assume the same for them.... probably

I will find some baby aspirin and get some in her water.

Im actually loving this idea. I could actually set this up so she could use it for a large portion of the day and I could take her out for a bit every now and then just so she gets into different positions and doesn’t start hurting....I know if I’m sick and lay in bed for too long I start hurting ... I would assume the same for them.... probably
Yeah I agree with you, definitely still needs to exercise so she doesn't get stiff and hurt even more. But this would provide you both with some relief for periods of time. Relieve some of the pain for her hopefully, and you can sit & relax knowing you've done all you can for her. :)

I like the chickens sling idea! Just make sure that she gets outside each day to sit in the grass and maybe hobble around a bit! She will be much more comfortable in the sling then sitting on her bum. Good job, and I would clean the vent feathers with the hot water massage idea you had, then you can trim the feathers back around her bum with some sharp scissors or nail clippers. She will less likely get poop on her feathers in the sling though, just make sure you cut a hole fro her droppings! Keep up the good work, Avery

Back
Top Bottom