International Black Copper Marans Thread - Breeding to the SOP

From some notes I took here from @Chooks man

Sorry I do not have the post numbers in my notes.

yeah there isa lot marans trait we can select for as chicks ;
1) type = we keep a chunky chick and we cull the skinny one.
2) less white possible ( only under the bally and chest ,tip of they wings )
3) strait legs and well spaced ..
4) healthy ,robust chick.
5) physical defect .
6) recessive melanin . black comb / wattles and toes nails ..
7) long chick (long back ) NOT a square chick .
8) short legs chick NOT a taller legs .
9) blue/green eyes Not a black /brown eyes.
10) chicks with a brown dot on they head sign of purity of a BCM strain .are a keepers .
Thank you very much for that, I saved it for future ... Interesting about the brown dot (10). And I'm only guessing here but (6) recessive melanine black comb and wattles I'm assuming is an immediate cull?
I'm seeing other threads talking about these "Gypsy face" their calling them.

Just feeling like these two are mini Kongs with possibly 18 more set to hatch and any boys from Betty could be much better.
No rash decisions yet, just looking to get everyone's thoughts on their selection schedules to thin the flock out for my best breeders.

Pics coming asap... ♥️

Thank you very much for that, I saved it for future ... Interesting about the brown dot (10). And I'm only guessing here but (6) recessive melanine black comb and wattles I'm assuming is an immediate cull?
I'm seeing other threads talking about these "Gypsy face" their calling them.

Just feeling like these two are mini Kongs with possibly 18 more set to hatch and any boys from Betty could be much better.
No rash decisions yet, just looking to get everyone's thoughts on their selection schedules to thin the flock out for my best breeders.

Pics coming asap... ♥️

I had a gypsy face girl several years ago. Not for breeding but a very sweet hen who laid a dark speckled egg.

You will know immediately if you see one. Dark face, dark eyes, mine had no copper. Comb was dark but still showed a reddish look.

Just remember chicks change a lot as they grow and some things can change again after 1st adult molt.

Don't cull too hastily. Grow out several of the best as long as you can.

As always looking forward to your pics.

Just some random rambling updates:

My olive Eggers are 6 weeks old yesterday. They were hatched out by Gina my jersey giant. She was a great mother for 4 weeks then returned to the roost bar and left them to fend for themselves. She must have taught them well enough because they all did fine without her help. They had a couple days to adjust to helping each other rather than relying on mom for everything but all and all everything went smoothly.

Gena went back to laying within just a few days of when she weened the chicks and laid maybe 6 eggs 3 were double yolk. Last night she slept in a nesting box and is acting full on broody again. She shreeks at me when I collect eggs, lays flat out like a pancake to cover eggs, and her belly is picked bald and hot to the touch. I don’t need more chicks right now so I guess I’ll probably watch her for a couple days then break her broody if she decides to stick with it

Attached is a couple pictures of the chicks. No close ups just yet Gens told them to avoid people and they still run away when I try to get close

My rooster has a couple of the hens looking really bald and with the weather getting really sunny they are getting sunburned so aprons have been ordered but haven’t arrived yet

IMG_4770.jpeg
IMG_4768.jpeg
IMG_4774.jpeg
IMG_4773.jpeg
IMG_4775.jpeg

Beautiful flock you got... ♥️
Just some random rambling updates:

My olive Eggers are 6 weeks old yesterday. They were hatched out by Gina my jersey giant. She was a great mother for 4 weeks then returned to the roost bar and left them to fend for themselves. She must have taught them well enough because they all did fine without her help. They had a couple days to adjust to helping each other rather than relying on mom for everything but all and all everything went smoothly.

Gena went back to laying within just a few days of when she weened the chicks and laid maybe 6 eggs 3 were double yolk. Last night she slept in a nesting box and is acting full on broody again. She shreeks at me when I collect eggs, lays flat out like a pancake to cover eggs, and her belly is picked bald and hot to the touch. I don’t need more chicks right now so I guess I’ll probably watch her for a couple days then break her broody if she decides to stick with it

Attached is a couple pictures of the chicks. No close ups just yet Gens told them to avoid people and they still run away when I try to get close

My rooster has a couple of the hens looking really bald and with the weather getting really sunny they are getting sunburned so aprons have been ordered but haven’t arrived yet

View attachment 3838167View attachment 3838168View attachment 3838169View attachment 3838170View attachment 3838172

I agree, I wish he was here, I’m worried what could have happened but really it isn’t my business.

For the face I look for comb evenness, evenness of serration, size and colour, as well as texture.
The earlobes should be almond shaped and not twisted or white, and the wattles should be round and not twisted.

The beak must be strong and curved

His comb is a little uneven for the serrations but not terrible. I’m messaging the breeder to arrange something.

He’s offering young birds too but he lives half way across the country.
halfway across Great Britain is not particularly far. You could fit nearly two Great Britains in just the state I live in, Montana. How many hours would the travel take? :lau

The grow outs are 6 weeks today.
I haven't done too many individual pics other than just watching the boys, but they are looking identical to Kong. Over colored in the chest.

At what intervals should I start thinking serious about individual pics for early selection?

And certain things to look for?

anything tall and slim is cull even at 6 weeks. they can be sold as dark eggers, not breeders.

Back
Top Bottom