Introducing baby chick to other baby chicks

renaenae

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 14, 2010
I recently purchased 12 baby americauna chicks. My dad has ONE black australorp chick. Mine are 3 days old, his is 11. Is there a problem with introducing them right now? I haven't seen his, so i'm not sure how big it is, but mine obviously are pretty small. If it's ok, how do I go about it. Are they young enough to just put him in the brooder box with the others and let them be?? I just feel really bad his chick is all alone and both my parents work all day, so it's not getting any holding or attention. Any suggestions would be great!!
yippiechickie.gif

Usually, if they are under about three weeks it should work OK. There may be some squabbles but hopefully nothing that draws blood.

I'm actually going to try that tonight with some that about a week apt - but i am waiting until they go to bed for the night - so here's hoping it works

I just put 4 babies from tsc with my chicks of 2 wks - and they just cuddled together - we'll see how they feel when they get out in the morning.

I had one chick killed and another scalped by a a pair of BO chicks that are only 2 weeks older than they were. I would use extreme caution if the older chick is much larger than the others.

I've got mixed-age babies -- two weeks of range and all obtained at the same time. I took a deep breath, threw them together, and watched carefully. The bigger ones are showing the little ones all of their tricks and everyone is getting along. FWIW, one of the two-weekers is a BA and she's verrrrrrrry calm and not at all pushing anyone around.

When I started, I bought 3 chicks. The next week, I bought 3 more and added them. The next week, 3 more and added them. And finally the next week, 3 more and added them. I was concerned, but I just watched when I could and tried to break up any fights I saw. It went fine and they all got used to each other.

One out of 3 of my EE eggs hatched on Easter, so yesterday I went to the feed store and bought the chick 3 companions (2 EEs and a White Rock). Today I put my teenaged Andalusian pullet, who had been sharing a dog crate and yard with the Silkies, in the brooder with the 4 baby chicks, and it was love at first sight! I would never have anticipated things working out so well, and I guess it doesn't often happen like this, but they think she's Mom, and she took to that role like it was created for her. She's still a baby herself!

Last edited:
Thanks for all your input. I will be bringing the chick home tomorrow night--it will be pretty late so hopefully everything will be fine at least until morning. I"ll watch for a bit before going to bed and have the hubby watch while i'm at work the next day. we'll see how things go. Thanks Again!!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom