Is anyone around an expert on brown chinese geese?

Excitednewbie

Songster
Nov 9, 2021
Just wondering if there is anyone around that knows a decent amount of information about Brown chinese geese and goslings!

I can find endless amounts of information and articles about all other kinds of geese and goslings but there is bugger all about Brown chinese geese 😅

I have 3 brown chinese geese that are 14 weeks old we have been trying to distinguish if they are male or female since they were 5 weeks old, are there any solid tips and tricks/ differences in their appearances that can help us work it out? Their head knobs are still pretty much non existant, there is 1 that has a tiny patch of fur/feathers where the knob starts and the beak/bill around the top and sides has some orangeish peachish colour broken through the black- this goose is slightly larger and heavier then the other 2 and has a darker black stripe down the back of its neck, another goose looks like the start of the knob may be slightly more raised then the others!

What kind of pictures should i take that would help people to have a guess at their genders?

Also interested to know what age the brown chinese usually start laying eggs ? 😊😄 any kind of information and feedback would be greatly appreciated 🤗

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220122-122717_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-122717_Gallery.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 96
  • Screenshot_20220122-122521_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-122521_Gallery.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220122-122018_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-122018_Gallery.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220122-121855_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-121855_Gallery.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Screenshot_20220122-121759_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220122-121759_Gallery.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 39
So I don't have any brown chinese, but I do have a white chinese goose, and from what I see on youtube the brown chinese sound almost identical to the white. Your best bets might be the honks. Females make a loud "OINK" sound, like a pig, while males sound almost like a trailing bugle.

You can hear in this video some of them have very short sharp oinking honks, while you can also hear a longer more high pitched honk which should be the gander!

So I don't have any brown chinese, but I do have a white chinese goose, and from what I see on youtube the brown chinese sound almost identical to the white. Your best bets might be the honks. Females make a loud "OINK" sound, like a pig, while males sound almost like a trailing bugle.

You can hear in this video some of them have very short sharp oinking honks, while you can also hear a longer more high pitched honk which should be the gander!
Thank you for your input! I might have to work on my honk listening skills 🤣 i swear sometimes there is 1 higher pitched honk then the other 2, but other times i swear they are all lower around the same pitch 😂 it may also be my ducks not helping quacking away in the background haha do you happen to know if the Chinese display different behaviors between males and females when being handled ? Having had them from tiny babies they have been handled quite a bit and still get picked up for cuddles daily 🥰 some are happy to sit still during cuddles and others are still happy for cuddles but like to kind of fidget and nibble during cuddles, wondering if that may be a behavioral indication of male or female 🤷‍♀️☺️

I have Africans but that being said
Unfortunately your at a tough stage for sexing. Vent sexing is very difficult at this stage there mussels are strong enough to keep it in. Voices come and go there still developing. I broke down and had feather gen testing done with IQ Bird Testing last year. If I had waited till they were 11 months I would have know by voices and behaviors and development. Even day old vent testing has a margin of error. If you ID a boy you can guarantee a boy but the ones that dont let the little thing be seen can go ether way. Purchased 6 girls and 4 boys from great breeders with allot of experience. Ended up with 6 boys and 4 girls.
Behavior can help a little the ones who still want to cuddle its a good chance there boys.

Here's a picture of an elderly female. She is gone now. I know the picture won't help you sex your goslings, but posting it here is a way to remember her. 🥰 Her honk, though, was similar to a pig's oink. The brown Chinese are loud and fun geese. There's always something going on with them. Lots of drama. They are definitely not for someone who wants calm, quiet geese.

Attachments

• IMG_0228.JPG
    IMG_0228.JPG
    322.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Here's a picture of an elderly female. She is gone now. I know the picture won't help you sex your goslings, but posting it here is a way to remember her. 🥰 Her honk, though, was similar to a pig's oink. The brown Chinese are loud and fun geese. There's always something going on with them. Lots of drama. They are definitely not for someone who wants calm, quiet geese.
Beautiful creatures they are 🥰 100% agree with the fun part, i love seeing each of their personalities come out day by day, i espicially love watching them run to us and jump an honk like crazy when they see us coming with treats 😆

Chinese geese are known for generally being pretty aggressive when it comes to geese, but funnily enough my Paisely is the friendliest goose out of all of ours. She likes getting kissed and petted sometimes. She's still very bitey and absolutely hates my sister, and I'll get a little chomp every now and then, but she is always willing to talk to me and when she does come up she's good at little chin kisses.

20220104_152833.jpg
20220104_152835.jpg

Chinese geese are known for generally being pretty aggressive when it comes to geese, but funnily enough my Paisely is the friendliest goose out of all of ours. She likes getting kissed and petted sometimes. She's still very bitey and absolutely hates my sister, and I'll get a little chomp every now and then, but she is always willing to talk to me and when she does come up she's good at little chin kisses.

View attachment 2969484View attachment 2969486
I just ordered 4 of these girls for march..I think I just made my life a lot more of an adventure. 😂 I have read so many mixed feelings about the breed. Some love them and others are not fans.

I just ordered 4 of these girls for march..I think I just made my life a lot more of an adventure. 😂 I have read so many mixed feelings about the breed. Some love them and others are not fans.
As long as you don't mind geese that often make big deals over trivial things, you should have a lot of fun with them. They can be very entertaining. 🤡

Back
Top Bottom