Is her bumblefoot back or is it a scab??

guest226

Chirping
Nov 18, 2023
Hi all. My cochin had bad bumblefoot on both feet a month or two ago. It almost completely went away, the skin had healed. But then now she has two large scabs again on both feet!!! It feels like i can peel them off but they are hard. Does she have bumblefoot again??

Should I take off the scab?? I have no idea if it’s the bumblefoot AGAIN or a healing scab. After she was treated before her feet pretty much got all better. Now suddenly it’s like this again.

This post has photos of her feet right now.

I’ll reply to this post with photos of her feet before when she had bumblefoot at first a while ago.

Attachments

• IMG_6290.png
    IMG_6290.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_6291.jpeg
    IMG_6291.jpeg
    921.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Hi all. My cochin had bad bumblefoot on both feet a month or two ago. It almost completely went away, the skin had healed. But then now she has two large scabs again on both feet!!! It feels like i can peel them off but they are hard. Does she have bumblefoot again??

I’ll reply to this post with photos of her feet before when she had bumblefoot at first a while ago.
@Eggcessive
@Wyorp Rock
@azygous

her feet a month ago

Attachments

• IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    467.6 KB · Views: 13
She could be developing it again. Does she have to hop down off a high perch onto a hard floor? That's one of the most common causes of chronic bumblefoot. Correct it if she faces those conditions.

I suggest soaking and softening the scab, scrape it off and keep antibiotic ointment on the feet for a few days. When bumblefoot is healing properly, the scab is paper thin and flat and a pale color, not thick and black. The latter is an indication infection is trying to get started again.

She could be developing it again. Does she have to hop down off a high perch onto a hard floor? That's one of the most common causes of chronic bumblefoot. Correct it if she faces those conditions.

I suggest soaking and softening the scab, scrape it off and keep antibiotic ointment on the feet for a few days. When bumblefoot is healing properly, the scab is paper thin and flat and a pale color, not thick and black. The latter is an indication infection is trying to get started again.
She is a heavy bird so I would assume that’s why. Her body weight pulls her down. She only has to jump up onto a roost, she walks down a ladder to get to bed.

I have all of the stuff from last time so I will repeat the process.

The kernel isn’t coming out dispite me trying to grab it with tweezers. The scab peels off but the hard kernel is very stubborn. any advice?

She does not let me turn her sideways and I can’t control her because i’m doing this alone. She does let me lift up her foot while she is standing, she’s otherwise very calm.

If you are trying to remove a stringy substance that seems extremely attached, that's not the pus kernel, which should lift off pretty easily. There is a fatty substance call serum that many people mistake for pus. You will only injure the tissue further by trying to dislodge this stuff. Clean well, dry and apply the wound ointment and bandage. If you begin the wrap at the shank, wind down to the toes, and then back up to where you started with the end of the bandage at the back, press firmly, the hen shouldn't be able to pull it off.

If you are trying to remove a stringy substance that seems extremely attached, that's not the pus kernel, which should lift off pretty easily. There is a fatty substance call serum that many people mistake for pus. You will only injure the tissue further by trying to dislodge this stuff. Clean well, dry and apply the wound ointment and bandage. If you begin the wrap at the shank, wind down to the toes, and then back up to where you started with the end of the bandage at the back, press firmly, the hen shouldn't be able to pull it off.
Here is what it looks like.
It’s like a really really hard scab and only the edges come off.

I took off the edges on the other side but the hard center would not budge.

Definitely a core. It won’t budge though.

Attachments

• IMG_6301.jpeg
    IMG_6301.jpeg
    265.7 KB · Views: 7
I've learned the immense value of Dawn detergent that I now keep it in my chicken first aid supplies. It's much more than just for dishes. It unclogs stopped up toilets and mechanics use it as a safe and effective degreaser. It's also great at dissolving bumblefoot scabs, turning the scab into jelly that is then easily scraped off.

First, put an undiluted squirt of Dawn on the scab. Then apply a hot compress to the scab. Wet a cloth and heat it in the microwave, careful not to have it hotter than what your hand can stand, not over 108F. Apply the hot compress to the Dawn on the scab and hold until it cools. Reheat the wet cloth and apply again to the scab. After five to ten minutes, the scab will be like jelly. Scrape it all off and proceed to dressing and bandaging.

I've learned the immense value of Dawn detergent that I now keep it in my chicken first aid supplies. It's much more than just for dishes. It unclogs stopped up toilets and mechanics use it as a safe and effective degreaser. It's also great at dissolving bumblefoot scabs, turning the scab into jelly that is then easily scraped off.

First, put an undiluted squirt of Dawn on the scab. Then apply a hot compress to the scab. Wet a cloth and heat it in the microwave, careful not to have it hotter than what your hand can stand, not over 108F. Apply the hot compress to the Dawn on the scab and hold until it cools. Reheat the wet cloth and apply again to the scab. After five to ten minutes, the scab will be like jelly. Scrape it all off and proceed to dressing and bandaging.
Thanks for the advice. I only have dawn extra strength. Will this be harmful?

Dawn extra strength means there are a maximum amount of surfactants in it. Surfactants make water "wetter", thereby increasing the effectivenness of the detergent. It's extremely safe for the hen and for you.

Back
Top Bottom