Is there a way to stop a rooster from breeding.

milkweedz

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
I have a beautiful silver laced cochin rooster.....he seems to love breeding with 4 of the hens...I live in the upper mountaisn of idaho so we have 4 horrid seasons...that means separating them...means leaving someone out in a large pen...to live it out in weather.....which bothers me...too hot..too cold..to rainy...

I recently had a splay leg baby chick...I created a leg brace out ok bandaids and she wore them for 9 days...as it took that long to correct. Now I was wondering, if I could create a large bandaid affect with Duck tape, it being a soft material...I was thinking that if I could place a brace on the rooster...loose ankles...and just enough space to walk freely and eat ...but not enough to jump on the hens....would this prevent him from breeding for about 2 months so the 4 hens he picks on could grow their feathers....and my husband wouldnt have to put him down.,....

I hate to see this beautiful rooster go....my new brrod of baby chicks have months to go before a rooster materializes.....and keeps the ladies safe....

has anyone else thought of this and does anyone think it would work....
Jean

Last edited:
Is he a young rooster? Most young roosters are hard on hens at first but should calm down.
You can buy saddles for hens to protect their backs or try trimming his spurs.

I have a beautiful silver laced cochin rooster.....he seems to love breeding with 4 of the hens...I live in the upper mountaisn of idaho so we have 4 horrid seasons...that means separating them...means leaving someone out in a large pen...to live it out in weather.....which bothers me...too hot..too cold..to rainy...

I recently had a splay leg baby chick...I created a leg brace out ok bandaids and she wore them for 9 days...as it took that long to correct. Now I was wondering, if I could create a large bandaid affect with Duck tape, it being a soft material...I was thinking that if I could place a brace on the rooster...loose ankles...and just enough space to walk freely and eat ...but not enough to jump on the hens....would this prevent him from breeding for about 2 months so the 4 hens he picks on could grow their feathers....and my husband wouldnt have to put him down.,....

I hate to see this beautiful rooster go....my new brrod of baby chicks have months to go before a rooster materializes.....and keeps the ladies safe....

has anyone else thought of this and does anyone think it would work....
Jean
There are saddles you can get for hens that will keep their torn back feathers safe.
http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Diapers-and-Saddles/Chicken-Saddle-p764.aspx

he is 14 months old...we have had other roosters up to 3 years old........and they still hit the females hard.
I have him in a 20 by 20 pen under the strees with 4 females that have all or most of their feathers...and the other girls go in the coop....

I have hen saddles...but they get flipped around so they dont really do the job.....I am at a loss...it looks like this poor fellow will have to go......you would think they would invent a brace for roosters....with all this science...and nothing yet?

thanks for writing

jean

Back
Top Bottom