Is this egg-bound?

nicolevg

Songster
May 30, 2021
Tehachapi, CA
This hen in 20 1/2 weeks old. She hasn't started laying yet. She got pecked square on the beak by one of our roosters a little while ago, but it's healing and growing back nicely & she's been eating and drinking just fine since I noticed it a week or so ago. She's been sitting like this all morning. Does this look like the beginning of being egg-bound? I can't tell. But her tail/bottom side is sloped down when she sits. She hasn't laid an egg yet, so I'm wondering if things are getting backed up and need some help like an epsom salt bath soak or something. However, she's still alert and gets up if another hen or rooster scoots her off her perch. Sorry for the low quality photo. I took it when I was rushing into a Zoom meeting.

Also, if anyone has any idea what breed this could be, please share. I thought this was my Whiting True Green when she was a chick, but clearly she's not. Not quite sure what Murray McMurray sent me. (In my most recent batch, I bought 3 buff orpington hens, 1 buff orpington rooster, 2 Ameraucana hens, 2 barred rocks, & 1 Whiting True Green. 1 of the Ameraucanas ended up being a rooster, & I only got 2 buff hens plus whatever this hen's breed is).

tempImagehaHFg4.jpg

How is she doing?
We segregated her in a kennel in the garage for the night. I went out to get a storage bin to cut a hole in the lid for her neck and head so I can try and give her an epsom soak tomorrow afternoon. So far, she seems fine/normal except for her posture. We’ll see how she’s doing in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom