Is this terrible or brilliant??

Pics

Floof

Crowing
8 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I'm needing to come up with a coop solution that does not require me to let out and lock up my chickens every day. It needs to double as their run and coop and be predator proof. I am thinking I want to build a series of garden boxes and an A frame over the top and house the chickens in there until it is full of poop and litter and then lift their A frame onto a new garden box, etc etc. The poop will over winter and be plantable eventually, or so I am hoping. Each garden box would be about 4x8 and look sort of like the one in this photo. Can you guys think of any downsides?
signal-2022-08-20-22-38-25-547.jpg

I would think you would need to add some sort of enclosure for them to roost in at night and lay eggs (if they lay that is).

How would you attach it? Screw it down?
I live in Oregon so not too extreme for temperatures. I just figured I would add some roosts and a tarp over the top of the wire. I've had chickens lay in Rubbermaid totes before so could do that again. To hold the A frame on the box, I imagine a couple hasp locks would do fine.

I'm needing to come up with a coop solution that does not require me to let out and lock up my chickens every day. It needs to double as their run and coop and be predator proof. I am thinking I want to build a series of garden boxes and an A frame over the top and house the chickens in there until it is full of poop and litter and then lift their A frame onto a new garden box, etc etc. The poop will over winter and be plantable eventually, or so I am hoping. Each garden box would be about 4x8 and look sort of like the one in this photo. Can you guys think of any downsides? View attachment 3233532
How tall are you planning on making this?

How tall are you planning on making this?
I'm trying not to break the bank so I would do most of it with 8 foot lumber and would cut it in half for the frame of the A frame. I think that makes the peek of the a frame 3.46 feet above the top of the garden box and about 4 and a half feet from the ground. For these dimensions I know I can only house 4 to 5 chickens per box. I'll have to build 6 A frames but more garden boxes to move them to as they fill.

I'm trying not to break the bank so I would do most of it with 8 foot lumber and would cut it in half for the frame of the A frame. I think that makes the peek of the a frame 3.46 feet above the top of the garden box and about 4 and a half feet from the ground. For these dimensions I know I can only house 4 to 5 chickens per box. I'll have to build 6 A frames but more garden boxes to move them to as they fill.
So i’m not exactly understanding what you are trying to do with this idea. Do you have a run youre going to attach these too? Is this the run? Is this the coop?

So i’m not exactly understanding what you are trying to do with this idea. Do you have a run youre going to attach these too? Is this the run? Is this the coop?
From the original post: "It needs to double as their run and coop and be predator proof"

I am going to be undergoing surgery and will not be able to do my usual routine with them. Currently they are in a coop with a non predator proof run. I am looking for all in one alternatives and thought this could work until next spring. A bonus would be the composted poop deposited directly where I'll eventually need it.

I'm needing to come up with a coop solution that does not require me to let out and lock up my chickens every day. It needs to double as their run and coop and be predator proof. I am thinking I want to build a series of garden boxes and an A frame over the top and house the chickens in there until it is full of poop and litter and then lift their A frame onto a new garden box, etc etc. The poop will over winter and be plantable eventually, or so I am hoping. Each garden box would be about 4x8 and look sort of like the one in this photo. Can you guys think of any downsides? View attachment 3233532

Assuming that you provide weather-proofing (tarp), along with roosts, nests, food, and water:
it sounds like a good idea to me. I've done something similar in the past, and it worked fairly well.

You could also add buckets of dirt sometimes, so the chickens spread it around and mix it with the droppings & litter. That way the garden bed ends up filled with dirt & compost, rather than just compost.

Back
Top Bottom