Ivomec Pour on for cattle for dogs?? Is this true....

david b:
I am a little confused as to what you meant by this. Do you mean bad breeding causes a mutation in herding dogs which then caused the death from Ivermectin? Are you implying that the original breeds that got off of Noah's Ark should have never been altered by humans and selective breeding is what is ultimately killing canines and making them sensitive to meds and the such? I think that is what you were trying to say that has been misunderstood.

Quote:
I used the regular horse Ivermectin on my flat coated retriever and just did my best to gauge it by the weight bar on the plunger. She was about 65-70 pounds, which I think was one or two tics on that, not sure as it was so long ago.

I did have a friend who had a breeding and boarding kennel and she dosed all of her dogs for years this way and never had a worm problem. No herding dogs though, like someone said...I had to use Interceptor on my collies.

QuailHollowP&P :

Quote:
I use the injectible 1% Ivomec every month:
-- .1cc per 11lbs of body weight.
Give orally.

Since I know my dogs are MDR1 normal/normal, I don't worry about an overdose.

You can rotate your wormer by using Fenbendazole. The liquid goat wormer is easiest - SafeGuard. Use for 3 - 5 days, follow-up in two weeks.

ETA: All the information you need is in this book. I have it, and yes - that is where the dosage regimen came from: http://www.oldcountryvet.com/

Thanks for the info on the book...going to get that and emailed him to ask if he has any info on horses or poultry of a similar nature!​

Quote:
I think that it's great that you have your religious views, but I am not sure it really fits in a topic about insecticide usage and dosages..

Last edited:
Reading the lost post about Noah's Ark leaves me confused...The person is correct about the mutation MDR1 gene, It has been isolated in herding dogs and you can test for it. All it means are that dogs are sensitive to certain drugs, you can even give them that drug 100 times dosen't mean that they will react but they can, so why take the chance with your beloved pet. We don't use the pour-on on our cattle let alone our dogs. We find its not as effective as the injectable. In our non herding dogs, we do use Ivomec inj at the rate of .01 cc per 10 lbs. We never use the tube [paste] as you really can't gauge it accurately as you can with liquid. The person is right about what worms it controls plus mange, earmites and heartworm. Panacur or cattle safeguard is given at the rate of 1 cc per4.5 lbs must be given from 3 to 5 days to be effective. And as far as the ark goes I go with the Darwin theory. Frank @ Byshore Kennels

I don't know about the pour on. My dog was on a DAILY oral dose of ivermectin for months for demodectic mange. I don't remember the dosage. It sure worked though and he now has a beautiful fur coat!

I have read that Ivomec is a very safe drug, and then also heard the opposite. I think I feel comfortable using it, I won't just yet as he still has Frontline, a total waste of money in my book, he has fleas and it's January!!! Frontline stinks. I'll never buy it again. I've used revolution in the past and it works great to control the pests bot not worms.

Just chipping in to add that it's not just herding dogs who have Ivermectin sensitivity - long-haired whippets, silken windhounds and even mutts can also have the gene mutation. When in doubt, either act like they have the mutation or shell out the dough to test for it: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/test.aspx

It's not difficult to work around MDR-1 sensitivity for worming, which is about all Ivermectin will do for you unless you dip the poor dog in it. I have collies and use Pyrantel Pamoate on my dogs and goats. As long as you're sure you don't have tapes, it's effective and the big bottle of cattle solution is fairly inexpensive. I don't know why, but my dogs LOVE the banana flavor.
sickbyc.gif
Safeguard is another one I hear about for worming collies. It kills tapes, too, but I'm not going to try it until the neverending bottle of Pamoate is gone. LOL Our problem in this area is roundworms, anyway.

Heartworm preventatives have ivermectin levels that are supposedly safe, even for dogs who are sensitive to it. Living in an area where heartworms are practically unheard of, I have never put this theory to the test, but every vet I've spoken to who knows about MDR-1 has agreed on this point. To me, a more important consideration is the list of OTHER drugs these dogs could have a reaction to. Most people have heard about the Ivermectin sensitivity, but had no idea that same mutation would cause a serious reaction to drugs like Immodium and certain tranquilizers used in veterinary procedures. List: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-VCPL/drugs.aspx

I've been using for 20+ years 1%, dogs between 60-85lbs get  1/2cc.

Vets will say not to use becuse it is off label use.

But did have a 35lb english setter with mange(got her that way)she got 2cc a day for 12 days,cured the mange and she is still alive at 12.

And as far as saving money it is alot more that 5 bucks,I get a 50ml bottle for around 35 bucks it will do 10 dogs for a year.

It will never be fda approved for dogs just cost to much money and they sell lots to us that have cows,and buy it by the gallon.

This is the pour on correct?

Actually i have had two vets tell me it was ok to use the pour on. One actually took the time to go over the dosage instructions. One of the best reproductive vets in the world specifically told us to use either the paste horse wormer or the cattle pour on since we have so many dogs. But make sure you have the dosage correct.

Back
Top Bottom