Keeping those butts fluffy

Eisenkrote

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2023
Vero Beach, Florida
A week ago last Sunday we picked up 10 chicks from the store. Unfortunately, despite our best efforts two didn’t make it through their first week. After 10 days the biggest of them are starting to get lanky and energetic, which is wonderful to see.

However, the smaller of them really need to work on their vental hygiene. I’ve devoted so much time to gently coaxing chicken poop from otherwise fluffy hind ends that I’m considering drawing up plans for a chick bidet. I’m not happy. They’re not happy (while cleaning the last one I swear it’s vent gave me the finger) and all of us are looking forward to less time in their rear view.

To that end, does anyone have tips for somehow Ziebarting their downy butts against poop? (Obligatory chick pic attached)

Attachments

• IMG_4852.jpeg
    IMG_4852.jpeg
    784.7 KB · Views: 24
This is from personal experience only -

First, if you aren't, make sure you are holding the chick under warm water and massaging the poo off under the running water. Pulling out even a single feather can cause the little one to bleed to Death or damage their vent.

Second, in my experience when my chicks are stressed, is when I see the most pasty butt flare ups. With that said, having them in an open "brooder" like that, may be causing some undo stress. Any little noise or jump can scare the tar out of the little ones, and being in a closed area most likely will help them feel more secure. It will also retain heat much better, making them able to use more id the space comfortably. Way back in the day I had a very over crowded brooder and spent hours cleaning butts.

Lastly, i try to avoid putting any kind of ointment or anything at all on then to prevent the pasty butt. They are so little and their vents are super fragile at this point. Checking them multiple times a day and cleaning them up is the best method, in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom