KT-Farms Intro ! AND NEED HELP!

kt-farm

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, I am relatively new at this. I bought a new home that came with 5 hens (already 5 years old). A year later, I rescued 5 hens. AND LAST YEAR I built a chicken palace and bought 18 chicks!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?

These are all 1 yr old:
4 Golden Prides,
4 Black Sexlinks,
4 Blue Sapphire Plymouth Rocks,
1 Black Sexlink that turned out to be a ROOSTER!!!

One 3yr old Aquila,
One 9yr old Rhode Island Red,
One 7yr old Ameraucana

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
OMG... the eggs have flavor and I know what they've been fed!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
Animal rescue... currently have two soldier dog rescues from Afghanistan, and one from Italy.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
We have 5 acres that I have cleared 3 of (so now a 2 acre pasture, complete with sprinkler and trough system), built a barn, chicken coop that my neighbors call the "chicken palace", a 1/2 acre of raised garden beds full of herbs and veggies (I donate 500 to 700 pounds of produce to our local food bank every summer). Needless to say, I have been VERY busy for the last 4 years! and lovin it!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I found BYC online during my first year of having chickens! The forums really helped me get setup and a little more knowledge that I needed to get started. I am always checking to see if I'm doing things right! I can't tell you how helpful this community forum is... THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_4023[1].JPG
    IMG_4023[1].JPG
    948.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1174[1].JPG
    IMG_1174[1].JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1680[1].JPG
    IMG_1680[1].JPG
    687.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1559[1].JPG
    IMG_1559[1].JPG
    455.8 KB · Views: 10
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, I am relatively new at this. I bought a new home that came with 5 hens (already 5 years old). A year later, I rescued 5 hens. AND LAST YEAR I built a chicken palace and bought 18 chicks!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? 16

(3) What breeds do you have?
These are all 1 yr old:
4 Golden Prides,
4 Black Sexlinks,
4 Blue Sapphire Plymouth Rocks,
1 Black Sexlink that turned out to be a ROOSTER!!!

One 3yr old Aquila,
One 9yr old Rhode Island Red,
One 7yr old Ameraucana

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? OMG... the eggs have flavor and I know what they've been fed!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Animal rescue... currently have two soldier dog rescues from Afghanistan, and one from Italy.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. We have 5 acres that I have cleared 3 of (so now a 2 acre pasture, complete with sprinkler and trough system), built a barn, chicken coop that my neighbors call the "chicken palace", a 1/2 acre of raised garden beds full of herbs and veggies (I donate 500 to 700 pounds of produce to our local food bank every summer). Needless to say, I have been VERY busy for the last 4 years! and lovin it!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I found BYC online during my first year of having chickens! The forums really helped me get setup and a little more knowledge that I needed to get started. I am always checking to see if I'm doing things right! I can't tell you how helpful this community forum is... THANK YOU!

HERE IS WHERE I NEED HELP ASAP!! Out of the 16 chickens, Lucy, is the only one with this foot issue.

So far I have:
- painted the perches with linseed oil and kerosine
- brought her in last night, soaked her feet in soapy water, dried and coated with coconut oil
- she's eating, watery poop
- their coop is cleaned out every day, with thorough cleaning and diatamacious earth weekly
- fresh water trough that fills refills every night, add vinegar and electrolytes daily
- omega 3 organic crumbles with cracked corn and sunflower seeds (with DE) for feed, along with leftovers

I AM WORRIED SICK, she is my sweetheart and loves being in the house in the big dog kennel. I'm keeping her here until I can figure out what is happening. I soaked her feet again this morning and some scales are falling off.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Attachments

• IMG_4060[1].JPG
    IMG_4060[1].JPG
    453.7 KB · Views: 13
Also, I always put DE and lavendar in their nesting boxes every week.

Today, I am putting oregano, thyme, lemongrass and wormwood in their feed (from this point forward) !!!!!
Why?

Welcome to BYC.
Your bird has a horrible scaly leg mite problem.

Coat her legs daily in Vaseline.

Electrolytes are not meant to be given daily.
Cracked corn and sunflower seeds should not be given daily either.
DE does absolutely nothing if fed to a bird.
Also, DE will probably do absolutely nothing at preventing an infestation of lice or mites.

Why?

Welcome to BYC.

Also, DE will probably do absolutely nothing at preventing an infestation of lice or mites.

Kiki... thanks so much for the reply! Do I need to coat all 16 of the chickens legs with vaseline?

How do I get rid of the lice/mites? Will the linseed oil and kerosine on the perches work? I thought that the DE would kill lice/mites!! What will work?

Thanks so much for your help.

Kiki... thanks so much for the reply! Do I need to coat all 16 of the chickens legs with vaseline?

How do I get rid of the lice/mites? Will the linseed oil and kerosine on the perches work? I thought that the DE would kill lice/mites!! What will work?

Thanks so much for your help.
DE will not work.

I'm not familiar with linseed oil and kerosine.

Scaly leg mites need to be smothered with some type of oil... Daily... From multiple days.

Lice and mites.... Permethrin would kill those two.

Why?

Welcome to BYC.

:goodpost:

Back
Top Bottom