Liege Fighters and Broodiness

Florida Bullfrog

Crowing
5 Years
May 14, 2019
North Florida
Had anyone who had raised Liege experienced them going broody? Seems like I read previoisly they generally don’t. I’d like to confirm or deny from someone who knows from experience. Mine have not been broody, but I don’t have any older than 2.

Younger hens go broody, too. If one of yours is broody, totally hatch some eggs! It's SO much fun to watch a hen mother a little brood!

Had anyone who had raised Liege experienced them going broody? Seems like I read previoisly they generally don’t. I’d like to confirm or deny from someone who knows from experience. Mine have not been broody, but I don’t have any older than 2.
Mine went broody at a year old. She crushed all but 1 egg and I helped 2 hatch because she managed to crumble the shells leaving them stuck in the sack. She still killed one by stepping on it. To do it again I'd probably just let her sit but hatch some in incubator and sneak them to her at night. I did notice she let the chicks stay with her a LOT longer than my other breeds. I noticed with my Liege chicks, they take forever to mature and still act like chicks despite outgrowing the adult birds from other breeds in the yard. Maybe thats why she stuck with the chicks nearly 3 months. My Phoenix hatched a Liege/phoenix cross and after 6 weeks he was taking daily floggings from the Phoenix hen because he kept trying to come back when he was nearly her size.

Mine went broody at a year old. She crushed all but 1 egg and I helped 2 hatch because she managed to crumble the shells leaving them stuck in the sack. She still killed one by stepping on it. To do it again I'd probably just let her sit but hatch some in incubator and sneak them to her at night. I did notice she let the chicks stay with her a LOT longer than my other breeds. I noticed with my Liege chicks, they take forever to mature and still act like chicks despite outgrowing the adult birds from other breeds in the yard. Maybe thats why she stuck with the chicks nearly 3 months. My Phoenix hatched a Liege/phoenix cross and after 6 weeks he was taking daily floggings from the Phoenix hen because he kept trying to come back when he was nearly her size.
I am noticing my Liege x aseel crosses are slow to mature. The cockerel is going on a year old and he doesn’t have much semblance of spurs yet and he isn’t crowing. He is hellaciously dominant though.

I am noticing my Liege x aseel crosses are slow to mature. The cockerel is going on a year old and he doesn’t have much semblance of spurs yet and he isn’t crowing. He is hellaciously dominant though.
Yea it takes Liege nearly 2 years to reach full potential from what I read. My first liege rooster took about 8 or 9 months before he started acting like a teenager. But I couldn't tell any size difference after about a year. I got some from another breeder this year that will be 6mo next week. I'm curious if they'll get bigger than my original. They are more aggressive than he was but he was picked on a lot being 1 of 2 lieges in a flock of 100 normal chickens.

Back
Top Bottom