Light Brahma w Curly Feathers

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I have a three week old light Brahma who is growing painfully slow (although I’ve read they’re slow to mature). She also has what appear to be curly wing feathers coming in. Is this normal? She’s also not a fan of sitting still...

0A237454-3A01-493B-BC61-36C3F6A0310D.jpeg

Attachments

• 9BBE0CE8-75FF-4617-B34A-BCA65E5141B5.jpeg
    9BBE0CE8-75FF-4617-B34A-BCA65E5141B5.jpeg
    452.6 KB · Views: 20
  • A4D4819B-8BB1-4C41-B37B-BBE41CE5BAB4.jpeg
    A4D4819B-8BB1-4C41-B37B-BBE41CE5BAB4.jpeg
    960.7 KB · Views: 19
Perhaps it’s a frizzle. Google “frizzle Brahma” and you’ll see a chick that is older but looks very similar.

Maybe weigh it for a few days/weeks and make sure it’s gaining weight. When my chicks had cocci, I saw weight gain slowed (or stopped!) before I saw any odd poo.

Perhaps it’s a frizzle. Google “frizzle Brahma” and you’ll see a chick that is older but looks very similar.

Maybe weigh it for a few days/weeks and make sure it’s gaining weight. When my chicks had cocci, I saw weight gain slowed (or stopped!) before I saw any odd poo.
She’s three weeks. I got she and her Austra White sister at the same time / same age and she’s just a pokey grower. Eats a ton, is rambunctious...maybe I got a runt?

Attachments

• 7F9D8FFE-2FE9-4EE9-B57F-A065ABF393C0.jpeg
    7F9D8FFE-2FE9-4EE9-B57F-A065ABF393C0.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 20
I’d check their weights over a few days and make sure the Brahma is growing okay. Weight should double every ten days for the first six weeks; I read that somewhere online & it proved true with my last batch of chicks (after I started them on Corid & cured them of cocci).

Hopefully nothing is wrong though. And hopefully your white bird is an Astra White and not a Cornish in the wrong bin sold as a layer! That would explain the size difference. Hopefully mislabeling chicks doesn’t happen often though.

:frowMe again!
I just saw your other post (at the bottom in the suggested posts area) and, if I were you, I’d start the two remaining chicks on Corid tomorrow. It won’t hurt them if they don’t have coccidiosis, but it most definitely could save their lives if they do. Since you had one chick die and one that is slow growing, I’d suspect cocci (protozoan parasites that live in chicken GI tracts and can kill chicks when they are too numerous).
I lost two chicks to cocci last August before a week was up. I had the poo tested after the first death and it came back positive for cocci. My chicks were active and eating & drinking fine. They weren’t hunched over or looking sickly. That night (after two deaths and the stool sample tested), I saw one bloody poo (a symptom of cocci). No other chicks died once I began the treatment.

:frowMe again!
I just saw your other post (at the bottom in the suggested posts area) and, if I were you, I’d start the two remaining chicks on Corid tomorrow. It won’t hurt them if they don’t have coccidiosis, but it most definitely could save their lives if they do. Since you had one chick die and one that is slow growing, I’d suspect cocci (protozoan parasites that live in chicken GI tracts and can kill chicks when they are too numerous).
I lost two chicks to cocci last August before a week was up. I had the poo tested after the first death and it came back positive for cocci. My chicks were active and eating & drinking fine. They weren’t hunched over or looking sickly. That night (after two deaths and the stool sample tested), I saw one bloody poo (a symptom of cocci). No other chicks died once I began the treatment.
I had treated them for it for about 10 days - white one had really runny poop despite probiotics, and when the first one died, I started Corrid just in case. The Brahma (or whatever she is!) is starting to catch up...over the last two days, she went on a growth spurt. These chicks...they really keep a person worrying. 🤪

Back
Top Bottom