LOS ANGELES county CA under bird quarantine :(

Pics

LuckyCluckyCA

Songster
Dec 13, 2018
Port of Los Angeles, CA
I posted a news link. but also a local vet sent this to all bird owners:
Los Angeles county pet chicken owners, take note of new requirements in the effort to control Virulent Newcastle Disease (VND). Here is the nitty gritty. In particular, pay attention to this one:

***All poultry must be confined to premises in a pen, cage or some other means that prevents poultry from moving off the premises.***

This is from the director of Veterinary Public Health, Los Angeles County Department of Public Health

What do bird owners have to do in Los Angeles County?

1. Report:
a) All bird owners shall immediately report any clinical signs suggestive of VND to the Sick Bird Hotline (866-922-2473).
b) All commercial/independent/small poultry businesses shall immediately report any clinical signs suggestive of VND and any significant changes to their health and/or production monitoring records as required by CDFA.
2. Test:
a) All bird owners shall allow diagnostic testing of their birds for VND.
b) All commercial/independent/small poultry businesses shall test their poultry for VND as required by CDFA.
3. Isolate:
a) All poultry must be isolated from all non-poultry species.
b) All poultry must be confined to premises in a pen, cage or some other means that prevents poultry from moving off the premises.
c) No poultry can move off a premises without prior written permission from CDFA.
d) All commercial/independent/small poultry businesses must receive prior written permission from the CDFA before movements into, within, or out of this region of poultry, poultry products, poultry associated materials or other items that could spread VND (due to contact with poultry, poultry products or poultry associated materials).
e) No movement of any non-poultry species from premises that also house poultry without prior written permission from CDFA.
4. Cease:
a) No exhibitions of poultry (including racing pigeons) or non-poultry species without prior written permission from CDFA.
b) No live poultry shall leave any live bird market, pet store, feed store or other retail establishment without prior written permission from CDFA.
c) No shipping, transporting, or receiving live poultry or poultry hatching eggs out of or into this regional quarantine area without prior written permission from CDFA. This includes shipments via the United States Postal Service, private package shipping companies or similar methods.
5. Enhance Biosecurity:
a) All commercial/independent/small poultry businesses shall enhance their biosecurity as required by CDFA.
b) All retail establishments selling poultry feed shall enhance their biosecurity as required by CDFA.

*******actual press release added below.

Virulent Newcastle Disease Update: Quarantine Boundaries Modified in Southern California

SACRAMENTO, February 27, 2019 – California State Veterinarian Dr. Annette Jones today modified Southern California’s quarantine area to further restrict bird movement as work continues to eradicate virulent Newcastle disease (VND). The quarantine mandates the reporting of sick birds and prohibits poultry owners from moving birds in all of Los Angeles County, and in large areas of San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

The modified quarantine extends from the northern and southern borders of western Riverside County to the Salton Sea—including the Coachella Valley—and as far east as Yucca Valley in San Bernardino County, with a northern boundary of State Route 58 at the Kern County line. The quarantine language and a map may be found at CDFA’s VND Web site.

The quarantine requires bird owners to allow diagnostic testing, to isolate poultry from other species, to cease exhibitions, to stop the shipping and receiving of birds, and to enhance biosecurity.

“By modifying the quarantine area in Southern California, we are building upon an ongoing effort to eradicate virulent Newcastle disease,” said Dr. Jones. “The primary way that VND spreads is by people moving sick birds. Extending the prohibition of bird movement across a larger area is the next logical step in being able to stop the spread of the virus and to eradicate the disease.”

VND is a nearly-always fatal respiratory infection in poultry. Birds may seem healthy but will die within days of being infected. There is no cure. The virus is also transmitted by people who have VND on their clothes or shoes, and by equipment or vehicles that can transport the disease from place to place.

There are no human health concerns provided that any meat or eggs are cooked properly. People who come in direct contact with the virus may develop conjunctivitis-like symptoms or run a mild fever.

The only way to stop the virus and eradicate the disease is to euthanize birds. This includes all infected birds as well as birds within heavily-infected areas.

Since May 2018, staff from the California Department of Agriculture (CDFA) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) have been working in joint incident command to eradicate VND in Southern California. The highly contagious virus has resulted, or will soon result, in the euthanasia of more than one million birds in Los Angeles, Riverside, San Bernardino, and Ventura counties.

Birds from four poultry industry producers in Riverside County and two poultry industry producer in San Bernardino County have also been infected with VND and all birds in those facilities have been or will be euthanized.

For more information about movement restrictions, biosecurity, and testing requirements, please call the Sick Bird Hotline (866) 922-2473 or email [email protected]

Last edited:
stupid question... so when they are saying this

does this happen? does the testing happen when they come to your place? how do they know all the chicken owners in los angeles?
I wondered the same thing when I read this. I wish I knew. There may be answers on the website, but my phone sucks, and navigating it's been difficult. I plan to read more tomorrow at work if I get a break.

Back
Top Bottom