male guinea attacking me...and it hurts!

imaturtlefan

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
So the last 2 days, Ive been working in the yard, and out of nowhere my male guinea will run up and attack me...yesterday he just ran at me with his wings out like he was gonna, but I turned toward him and shooed him off...today, he came up outta nowhere, and got my leg...what the heck did he stab me with first of all? He left a mark, but they dont have spurs...at least that I know of, and is this normal? Ive had him for a year, raised him from a keet.

Guess what, you're his sparring partner. If you have no other male Guineas his genetics have kicked in and is driven to fight with something.

Is he the only one you've got? If you have hens his mate may have a nest nearby that he's defending. That's the only time any of mine have ever gotten mean with me....when I was stealing eggs or keets from the nest or was near one I didn't know was there.

In all the years i have been owned by goonies ,the only time i see them even look like they were going to attack was when the hens were laying, sitting or had keets with them.

Is it possible ya got a hen nesting?

I had 4 guineas...only 2 now, what I believe is a male and female...shes now a year old as well, so its possible she has a nest, but shes definitely not sitting on it if she does...shes always out wandering the yard with him and the chickens...he chases her and flops her sometimes too, at random (and the chickens) hes just evil I think... but its possible that there is a nest I guess, must be somewhere kinda near the chicken coop, thats where Ive been attatcked both times, but it sits in the of my woods along the path (most of my land is woods, except right around the house... I guess Ill go look, and Ill know if Im getting hot by how aggressive he gets? Is it normal for him to be mean to her as well?

I can see the next mel gibson movie...when guinneas attack, haha!

Mine are keets, but they arnt nice either. They are less then a week old and are ALWAYS nipping on each other.

I let one of my males and his hen out to free range yesterday after having them in lock down for a couple of days for roosting in a tree. I went to scoot them towards their pen last night and my male attacked my leg. If I didn't love him so much he would be in the freezer right now, not to mention he took to the tree pretty quickly. My dominant male beats on this one all the time and he does nothing BUT he chooses to challenge me? Huh. He is going into big time lock down if I can get him into the pen again. My dominant male will side step, charge me and challenge me, or used to, until I started doing the finger peck to his back, but I was totally shocked at this males behavior.

Quote:
LOL ladi, your Guineas sure are workin' ya aren't they? (I'm laughin' with ya, not at ya, just to clarify!)

I have never even had a guinea come at me except one with keets! If one attacked me it would be 4th & 19 with the ball on my own 6 yard line! (time to punt for you non-football folks)

Back
Top Bottom