Materials for human screen porch?

springvalley123

Free Ranging
9 Years
May 22, 2015
Northwest Phoenix area
I have a covered patio that I want to enclose as a screen porch for human use. My birds will free range, so the building materials need to keep the chickens off the porch. The porch will have mesh screen to exclude mosquitoes also. IF I use straight screen (like window screens), will the chickens be able to damage it by pecking? I know they will peck at it, if it has something tasty-looking on it. For that reason, should I use regular siding for the bottom 2-3 feet? I'm in central AZ, between Prescott and Phoenix, the porch gets winds from the north and west, the house is on the south, and hardly any wind comes from the east. We don't want shade cloth because with the overhangs it's plenty shaded.

If you want to keep your sight lines open at the bottom, use pet screen. I have a screened porch/catio with vinyl coated polyester pet screen and it's done a great job keeping my cat in and ferals out even when said cats climb it or fight with the screen between them.

If you want to keep your sight lines open at the bottom, use pet screen. I have a screened porch/catio with vinyl coated polyester pet screen and it's done a great job keeping my cat in and ferals out even when said cats climb it or fight with the screen between them.
In your experience, how has the pet screen held up to chickens pecking at it?

In your experience, how has the pet screen held up to chickens pecking at it?
My chickens don’t have access to it but if they did they would’t be able to do anything to it. You need quality sharp scissors or shop shears to cut the stuff. While trimming edges with a utility knife a few times I slipped and thought I might have sliced it but it did nothing to the screen. It looks brand new after 3 years of cats trying to tear it.

Read the reviews on homedepot. It stands up to big dogs too.

Back
Top Bottom