Michigan Hatchers! What'cha got cookin?

Well, its about 23 hrs after I set the eggs last night....and I just went out and checkd the coop....and found one from my Blue Orp. so it would be mixed with a Splash Marans roo. Since its her first egg, I havent looked yet to see if its fertile....Think I should throw it in the bator and see what happens?

Last edited:
I am newer to chickens and Brand New to Breeding/incubating etc. I am from SW MI and hating the weather so to keep me busy in this awful winter I started hatching out eggs...

I started out with 34 (purchased eggs) in the incubator for my first time ever. I ended up with only 8 :( The 8 I did get I am very pleased with but would have been happier with a better hatch. I have Silkies (paint, Splash and Black). My second batch I only put 9 of my own eggs in (Blue/Black/Splash) I got 6 live lost one so have four blue one black.

Now I am collecting from the same pen and my Belgian D'uccle started laying recently so I am going to see if I can hatch out some of those too.

Wish me luck

You need to crack the egg open and look for a bullseye in the yolk. If you google it, there are lots of examples.
Yep! That.

OR, you just stick it in the incubator and see if it develops.
wink.png

Well, its about 23 hrs after I set the eggs last night....and I just went out and checkd the coop....and found one from my Blue Orp. so it would be mixed with a Splash Marans roo. Since its her first egg, I havent looked yet to see if its fertile....Think I should throw it in the bator and see what happens?
Which one is it?? I would eat it, check for fertility.

Having dejavu...not good to hatch pullet eggs? Asked this somewhere, could have even been here, cant remember if I got an answer (CRS)

Im currently collecting eggs.

Would like some silkie eggs too but untill I find some for sale or it warms up for shipping... I can only hatch out my own cochins...

Im on day 21 of silkie eggs. Two out and 4 more pipped. Mindylee what color cochins do you have? Are they lf or banty? I have one lone banty barred cochin roo that someone gave me because he was only survivor of his hatch and I had other chicks to puthim with. Id like to get some others for him. Either chicks or eggs. If you could pm me that would be wonderful. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom