Mosquito bites and swollen eyes

vtel

Hatching
Jun 13, 2016
Recently noticed my coop was being swarmed by mosquitos at night. I have attacked the sutuation but unfortunately a hen that was broody and did not leave her box was bitten dozens of times. Her face has swollen so bad her eyelids have shut. So she can't see which means she can't find food or water. I've been feeding her water with a syringe but she won't eat food I put to her beak. I don't know what else to do. Any help would be appreciated.
[/IMG]

Welcome to BYC.

Hopefully someone else will have more input.

With that much facial swelling and pox lesions, I suspect she has lesions in her mouth as well.

If you haven't done so separate her so you can treat her and hopefully prevent the spread (any shedding of the scabs, dander etc., is "hot debis" or contagious). Water/hydration is very important so good job on getting some into her with a syringe. As far as food try offering some egg or tuna. If she won't eat and her mouth is full of pox, you may have to try tube feeding being as careful as you can not to disturb the scabs and lesions.

The Chicken Chick has a good treatment description so take a look at her article. I think most of the treatment items can be found at the local feed store like Tractor Supply and your local pharmacy like CVS.
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

Here's info on tube feeding:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

I suspected pox as well but no lesions anywhere else including inside her mouth, feet or vent. This is why I suspected the mosquitos as there was an insane amount in the coop. But it still might be a good idea to separate her and treat her as a pox case just in case. Got some spray from TSC to help treat sores that was also safe for and around their eyes. Hopefully it will help. I Just need one eye to open and she'll be good.

Update: The injuries were caused by the trauma of mosquito bites when she was dedicated broody. None of my other 30 birds have any symptoms of pox. I have killed the mosquitoes with permethrin. I had to tube feed her for a few days and I put neosporin on the scabs to help soften them up. Also added antibiotics to her food. Well the liquid food I tube fed her with. I was eventually able to open one eye lid so she was able to see a little. Now her scabs have started to fall off and shes completely functional again. That permethrin works great and Ill be using it in the coop every few weeks.

Glad to hear she is doing well!
You did a good job taking care of her.

Just for more information, I have mosquitoes too and usually run a fan in my coop and the run to help keep them from landing, but it's good to know other options if needed. The permethrin you used, is it in a spray form or powder form?

The fan is a good idea. Would help keep them cool too. I will look into doing that. I bought permethrin in a liquid concentrate at Tractor Supply. Then mixed it in a pump up sprayer. It's safe on or around animals. You can even spray it on your clothes.

The fan is a good idea. Would help keep them cool too. I will look into doing that. I bought permethrin in a liquid concentrate at Tractor Supply. Then mixed it in a pump up sprayer. It's safe on or around animals. You can even spray it on your clothes.

I will have to look into the spray next time I'm at TSC.
Even in winter we have mosquitoes
roll.png
too cold for fans. Can be in the teens and 20's at night, but gets around 40-50 sometimes in the day and the buggers just fly. So the spray may be an option for times when a fan is not practical.

My flock seems to enjoy the extra air moving in this hot weather.

I read vinigar (bought it in bulk at costco) is natural replant for the little buggers. They LOVE biting me i spray it on me then rub it to cover my skin and let me tell you it works. So i wounder if yiu can spray it on the chickens. I mean dont drown them in it but put in a spray bottle and do a quick spritz on the feathers maybe the face too once they close there eyes to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom