My chicken coop is smaller than I expected :(

How's the ventilation....are the soffits open for air flow?
Will your run have a solid roof?

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Nicgirl208
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 3795705
Thank you so much! I'll get on that profile udpate.
And yes, we are building a solid roof for the chicken run. Yes, Soffits do have some airflow.

This is very redundant advice, but I agree with better roost bar placement and maximizing ventilation if all 10 will be in there long term. You don't want humidity to build up with the extra birds. Are you planning to do a poop shelf under the roosts? That would make it easier to clean up the overnight turds and again, reduce humidity/ammonia build-up.

We started with a VERY tiny coop, but tried to offset that by having a covered run that's essentially weather-proof. You don't want them to feel like they have to cramp into the coop on a rainy day, get bored, then start pecking each other. So even if you're planning to free-range, get that covered run done pronto!

Welcome to BYC :welcome

EDIT: Wanted to add, the paint job on the coop is super cute! 😍

Thank you for your advice :) Yes, the run is definitely going to be covered.
And I do plan on adding a poop shelf under the roosting bars. I believe I might have 2 cockerels already, and I cannot have a rooster where I live sadly. So that'll help my situation with space. Also, I have two silkies, no idea if they're pullets or cockerels. So my plan is to add more ventilation, fix the roosting bars, add shelves beneath the roosting bars, and see how all that plays out.

Maybe I can't tell from the pictures but how are you going to clean the poop shelves? Will you have to climb up in it everyday? It looks way tight in there already.
Probably will have to climb in.... =/ Unless I had my husband cut into the back and have doors that open? He's pretty handy...I should consider having him do that then?

Probably will have to climb in.... =/ Unless I had my husband cut into the back and have doors that open? He's pretty handy...I should consider having him do that then?

With that part bolded.....

I wonder if the wall with the nest boxes could be bumped out another 4'. It would mean sistering rafters, making a platform and floor, framing 2 end walls and 2 sheets of plywood or siding.
It would NOT be easy but it would give you double the square footage.

With that part bolded.....

I wonder if the wall with the nest boxes could be bumped out another 4'. It would mean sistering rafters, making a platform and floor, framing 2 end walls and 2 sheets of plywood or siding.
It would NOT be easy but it would give you double the square footage.
I am going to show him this exact message..... thanks for the advice, I love it! I may wait until hes done with the run though, LOL

Back
Top Bottom