My ducks were attacked - one severely injured

He’s drinking. Swelling has gone down. Eyes are still a mess
D084DF25-78D9-4285-9E58-C726EF0D721A.jpeg

We trapped a mongoose about 30 feet from my ducks. I set the trap while I was working on their new fence, and in a few hours, caught a mongoose. It must be very bold and aggressive to come back while I was there, and my 4 dogs. Hopefully it was the one that killed Ruu😢 But probably not whatever killed Dragon since we moved the ducks pretty far yesterday. I’ll keep the traps set out.

I finished the new fence. It’s 1 inch by 5/8 inch hardware cloth with heavy duty pins staking it down to the ground all around the edges. It’s inside the electric fence for an added deterrent. It’s not very big but it’s just temporary.

Injured baby drake is still not eating. I tried a soup but he still wouldn’t eat it. If he doesn’t start eating by tomorrow I can tube feed him
BCEFBC28-3DA9-469C-9D93-9D7EC7214396.jpeg

6D24C2C0-7AB5-4758-BF9B-246433413C6D.jpeg

We trapped a mongoose about 30 feet from my ducks. I set the trap while I was working on their new fence, and in a few hours, caught a mongoose. It must be very bold and aggressive to come back while I was there, and my 4 dogs. Hopefully it was the one that killed Ruu😢 But probably not whatever killed Dragon since we moved the ducks pretty far yesterday. I’ll keep the traps set out.

I finished the new fence. It’s 1 inch by 5/8 inch hardware cloth with heavy duty pins staking it down to the ground all around the edges. It’s inside the electric fence for an added deterrent. It’s not very big but it’s just temporary.

Injured baby drake is still not eating. I tried a soup but he still wouldn’t eat it. If he doesn’t start eating by tomorrow I can tube feed him
View attachment 3838871

View attachment 3838864
I'm glad you got one. But don't let your guard down. I think tube feeding is a good idea now that shock is over and it's been a few days now that he hasn't eaten. Mix some poultry vitamins into the feed you tube just for added nourishment.
Poor baby I hope his eyes will soon clear. Make sure he can find water so he stays hydrated.

I'm glad you got one. But don't let your guard down. I think tube feeding is a good idea now that shock is over and it's been a few days now that he hasn't eaten. Mix some poultry vitamins into the feed you tube just for added nourishment.
Poor baby I hope his eyes will soon clear. Make sure he can find water so he stays hydrated.
Yes, I have 2 mongoose traps set. Last night the injured baby heard Speck eating and took a tiny bite. I think that’s a good sign. Speck is a good friend for him. But I’ll definitely tube him if he’s not eating more today

I was so worried to asking about Speck thinking the worse that she may have been injured. I'm glad to hear she is helping your drake find food. I bet once the sorenss is better he'll start eating he looks like he should be in pain poor boy. Do you have any Meloxicam that would help with pain and inflammation.

I was so worried to asking about Speck thinking the worse that she may have been injured. I'm glad to hear she is helping your drake find food. I bet once the sorenss is better he'll start eating he looks like he should be in pain poor boy. Do you have any Meloxicam that would help with pain and inflammation.
I do not have meloxicam. I was thinking of asking the vet for some today. I do have aspirin

Speck, and her 2 buddies, Chickpea and Cherry Tomato, were inside another pen within the duck pen so they had extra protection. Fortunately they are all ok and I have a trap set by their pen too. I put the injured drake with them because they are all gentle and won’t bother him but give him companionship. I saw Speck snuggling with him. It was so precious 😢

I’m feeling so stupid because after the first attack when I moved the ducks into the yard (and thought they were safe because I thought the problem was dogs), I shut my own 4 dogs away from the duck pen area because I wanted the ducks to be able to relax in a quiet place. If I had let my dogs into that area it’s quite possible they could have chased off the mongoose and saved Ruu😭 Of course now I have the area around the duck pen open to my dogs. One of my dogs will kil mongoose and the others will all chase them

I decided to name the injured baby, Griffin. It’s a tough name but still sounds kind of cute like him. Everything looks like it’s healing. His eyes are still pretty bad but I think I won’t know how bad they are until the swelling goes away completely. His face is slathered in antibiotic ointment in these pictures.

I tried feeding him some scrambled egg but he didn’t want it. Oh well, as long as he’s eating his duck pellets, plus electrolyte and water he should be ok.

Griffin is the largest one in these pictures. Chickpea (girl) is in the water pan, Speck is the small one, Cherry Tomato (probably boy?) is the one in the front in the first picture.
17D373B1-8070-4712-B293-D97F543D33FB.jpeg
85FE5B56-7B06-49D9-BD28-810CC87AAB44.jpeg

Speck
83E75CD4-2F53-4DC2-93CF-0B25D5A33BD0.jpeg

CF3B7FAB-5F2D-41C7-A844-242EC9500EA2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom