my intro

garnet

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Peoria, IL
Hi am am a 29 yr old mom to 5 wonderful kiddos and wifey to one great guy. For years I've wanted to go the natural route, no pesticides, organic whenever I can get it. With 5 kiddos its expensive! So hopefully in the next year or so we'll be buying some rural property and carving out our own spot in the world. Complete with CHICKENS. My stepson V made me think chickens weren't a bad idea. We went to a comapny picnic and there was a petting farm with the most beautiful itty bitty black sliky banties. I knew enough about chickens to know they were banties, but I wasn't sure what kind. My kids stayed in the petting farm the whole time we were there, playing with those banties, a few geese, a couple ducks. And a Buff Orpington. ( I did not know what kind of chicken that was, just that it was a beautiful, plump stately bird that did not object to my kids cudling her.) When we left V asked about having chickens and I said we'd look into it.

Imagine my surprise to find you can't even keep a hen in the city limits.

So to the country we go. We've decided to order some Delawares and a few Orpingtons from Murray McMurray along with a few of those black silky banties. And a "surprise" here and there. My daughter, the 9 yr odl expert 4 her is in heaven with this. She helped me pick them out.

Hey and
welcome-byc.gif

I have 5 kids too, so I know what you mean about the expense. We got our first chickens back in April. Now I have over 50 (lost count) and more hatching all the time. We also have turkeys, geese, and pigs. We're fixing to get rabbits and a couple of ducks. It's great!

You will love this website. But watch out...it's very addictive!!

thanks for the warm welcome! So far the problem is finding land we can afford that is "rural" enough to have livestock on, and yet close enough to the hospital I work in and the college hubby goes to.

I was just telling him we might have to make do and buy land and put a mobile home on it for now. ( We both grew up in mobile homes. There's nothing wrong with them, but 5 kids in a mobile home is tough.)

Good luck finding the right spot. It is a good time to buy real estate right now, so that's a positive for you all.

Welcome to the internet Home of Chicken Addicts.
BYC: Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

Quote:
That is what we did. Then, we discovered we really didn't like the area and moved - to a bigger piece of land, of course! We are glad that we lived there before we built.

Back
Top Bottom