New bantams have crusty white feet?

I wouldn’t pull them off, but they may come off easily after the oil or ointment has softened them. Normally, I would treat conservatively with the soaks and oil, but since you need to get them treated with right away, I would use the gasoline as well, especially since it was recommended by a vet. Many oldtimers used this method as well.
Do you think that bandaging the feet after slathering with vaseline would speed up the recovery? I feel like if I don't, the chickens will rub the vaseline off.

Quarantine! Change chlothes and wash before handling your existing hens!

If you can keep them on clean coarse bedding with very little dirt/dust it is helpful for keeping the vaseline on and makes the cleaning easier.

Slather liberally with Vaseline, gently packing it in under the scales as much as possible... soak the feet and legs in warm soapy water before each treatment for as long as the chicken/you can stand it. Gently use a super soft tooth brush to loosen the mite crud. Repeat every few days... then again in a week or so to kill any hatched eggs!

I’m dealing with a bad infestation myself as well right now... I’ve never tried the gasoline remedy though... I imagine it would sting and smell horrible, and can’t really bring myself to do it.

Well first off those are not Japanese bantams.

Second, I wouldn't take them.

Third, if you do take them, dip in gasoline or glycerin, allow to dry, slather with appropriate oil and DO NOT cover. Mites love dark places to live in.

in the second picture of the original post. it looks like a big bump on the foot as well. that bump perhaps could be bumble foot but is unclear. i definitely agree in the scaly mites as well. perhaps grab another photo of that bump.

edit- second picture not third

You can also dose them with ivermectin to kill the mites from within. A vet can do it or perhaps a knowledgeable salesperson at a feed store like TSC would know the dose needed. I ordered a spray online, called Scaly Leg Remover by Nettex, that works and is easy to apply. Catching the bird is the hardest part, then you just thoroughly spray the legs and feet. Repeat in a week to kill any hatched eggs. Repeat as needed if it’s a bad case.

in the second picture of the original post. it looks like a big bump on the foot as well. that bump perhaps could be bumble foot but is unclear. i definitely agree in the scaly mites as well. perhaps grab another photo of that bump.

edit- second picture not third

To me the bump looks like the back toe and the toenail, photo angle issues, not like bumble foot... but it’s best to carefully monitor it just incase, take more pictures? Mine likes to curl her foot up right when I go to take a pic! Fun times...

I am about to get four new Japanese Bantams from my mother's flock (one rooster, three hens). They have crusty white "growth" on their feet. My mother says that this is mites, and has been treating it with Scalex Mite and Lice spray for birds. She says that one of her other roosters actually lost some toes which she assumes happened from the "mites". She reports that the Scalex has been working, but to me, the feet still look pretty bad. And for the record, I am not all that pleased with the sanitation of her flock and coop and would not automatically assume that she is correct.

I have two full sized hens at home, both of which have never had any problems with feather mites or this crusty stuff on their feet. One of them has feathered feet. My mother reports that none of her full sized hens have ever gotten the "mites".

I'm just trying to make sure that
A) I can continue to treat the crusty stuff with the Scalex. If not, what I can treat it with.
B) My two hens are not in danger of acquiring the crusty stuff.
C) I'd like to know what the crusty stuff is.

Thank you!
View attachment 1628394 View attachment 1628395 View attachment 1628396 View attachment 1628397 View attachment 1628398 View attachment 1628399 View attachment 1628400
In the fith pic is that bumble foot? I have never experienced it but I have seen pixs.

Back
Top Bottom