New to BYC!

tviss711

Chirping
Apr 12, 2024
Hi there I am new so just following the recommended steps here and introducing myself!

We got our first flock of four little chicks two years ago on April first. We have learned a lot since then and BYC threads were super helpful for troubleshooting (though I just never made an account!) but I figured it was time now!

After spotting raccoons near our house for the first time, we recently modified a Costco shed for our flock to get rid of our cheaper pre-fabricated one we originally bought. We are enjoying the new setup and so are our girls! But then of course with more room we decided, more chickens! So we are raising our second batch of babies (4 more).

Anyway, we have a mixed flock and love our girls just like we do our other pets. They are always at the glass door begging for attention when they see us waking by. We have 2 RDR (one is golden sex-link), Barred Rock, and silver laced Wyandotte. (Penny, Dotty, Mozey, and Tilly!) Our newest batch has two Speckled Sussex and two Buff Orpington and they are a month old. The babies are not named yet, although one of the Sussex had a short bout of pasty butt and had fussed some of her feathers out so we had to use blue dye on her tushy to keep her sisters from pecking, thus her nickname, “baby blue butt,” has started to stick. We are looking forward to watching them grow!

When we started this whole thing, I didn’t think I would end up loving these darn birds so much, but now I can’t imagine not having them. Even got my Mama in Idaho hooked, and her flock is bigger than ours now! Looking forward to learning more, there is so much out there to learn and grow in keeping our girls happy and healthy.

Hi there I am new so just following the recommended steps here and introducing myself!

We got our first flock of four little chicks two years ago on April first. We have learned a lot since then and BYC threads were super helpful for troubleshooting (though I just never made an account!) but I figured it was time now!

After spotting raccoons near our house for the first time, we recently modified a Costco shed for our flock to get rid of our cheaper pre-fabricated one we originally bought. We are enjoying the new setup and so are our girls! But then of course with more room we decided, more chickens! So we are raising our second batch of babies (4 more).

Anyway, we have a mixed flock and love our girls just like we do our other pets. They are always at the glass door begging for attention when they see us waking by. We have 2 RDR (one is golden sex-link), Barred Rock, and silver laced Wyandotte. (Penny, Dotty, Mozey, and Tilly!) Our newest batch has two Speckled Sussex and two Buff Orpington and they are a month old. The babies are not named yet, although one of the Sussex had a short bout of pasty butt and had fussed some of her feathers out so we had to use blue dye on her tushy to keep her sisters from pecking, thus her nickname, “baby blue butt,” has started to stick. We are looking forward to watching them grow!

When we started this whole thing, I didn’t think I would end up loving these darn birds so much, but now I can’t imagine not having them. Even got my Mama in Idaho hooked, and her flock is bigger than ours now! Looking forward to learning more, there is so much out there to learn and grow in keeping our girls happy and healthy.
Yay!!! So glad you are here! 😊

Back
Top Bottom