Niacin Deficiency in Waterfowl

Pics
Hello, I have a 4 week old pekin that is exhibiting leg issues with walking and standing. She is currently on Kalmbach Duck & Goose food that states it has 45mg/min. of niacin per pound. How much Durvet High Level Vitamin B Complex should I give her over treats? Should I do this daily?

Give her 1 ml a day over treats. And if you're not sure she's getting the full amount, err on giving her more - you can't overdose, their body won't retain it. Do it every day probably until she's fully feathered, then if her issues are gone you can switch to brewers or nutritional yeast sprinkled on the food. If you have other pekins or ducklings it won't hurt them at all to get the vitamin B, so if you add it to a small dish of food in addition to giving this specific duck the dosage, it's probably good for them. If she has splay leg you will need to hobble her. Make sure she's on a no-slip surface and give her exercise in the bathtub but don't make her over-do it with walking.

Give her 1 ml a day over treats. And if you're not sure she's getting the full amount, err on giving her more - you can't overdose, their body won't retain it. Do it every day probably until she's fully feathered, then if her issues are gone you can switch to brewers or nutritional yeast sprinkled on the food. If you have other pekins or ducklings it won't hurt them at all to get the vitamin B, so if you add it to a small dish of food in addition to giving this specific duck the dosage, it's probably good for them. If she has splay leg you will need to hobble her. Make sure she's on a no-slip surface and give her exercise in the bathtub but don't make her over-do it with walking.
Thank you for responding. She isn’t splayed, she just prefers sitting,has a hard time getting up and walking looks painful. We have a Rouen duckling the same age with her, she’s running around like crazy without leg issues. Did I read the article correctly? The injectable is what I should be using on treats? I’ll put a picture up to show what I was going to buy in the morning.
IMG_5690.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom