No symptoms other than deadly sounding breathing in pullet, gapeworm?

Sylver Queen

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 21, 2014
California
Hello! I've been looking and looking on here over the last few days refreshing myself on everything that can go wrong respiratory-wise, but all I can come up with is gapeworm. I'm hoping someone with experience in this can give me some clarification! Seven-month-old mixed breed pullet, adopted from the neighbor, I noticed she had audible breathing when she was quite young, 4 months maybe, but only noticed it when she was nervous at first, so I thought it was maybe exertion, or the intense heat... I adopted her 2 months ago since she lived at my house anyway, rough breathing still noticeable when nervous, but now that the weather has turned cold her breathing suddenly in one day turned horrendous! Can gapeworms take four months plus to kill a bird??

Comb and wattles look a perfect red, feathers are glorious, no discharge from eyes or nose or beak or anything that I can tell, eating very well, moving around very spryly, but it sounds like she's gonna die of lack of oxygen if I don't figure this out! I just finished 5 days on fenbendazole horse wormer because that's all the feed store had in stock, put her on an antibiotic that I successfully used before for suspected mycoplasma, but she's not gotten any better and has no symptoms of a respiratory infection anyway.

So far no symptoms in any of my other birds. I just ordered some Valbazen but hoping for confirmation on dosage?? Unless it's fungal, I can't think of what else it would be other than gapeworm, and I couldn't find levamisole available so hopefully this will work. She's pretty skittish but she let me look inside her mouth earlier today and I saw nothing but a healthy young pink mouth. 🤦‍♀️ She does gape to breathe but I have seen no shaking of the head.

Any info much appreciated! I'm at a loss, and definitely don't want the rest of my older flock to become infected with a deadly parasite. 🙏 Thank you!!

Oh, and she completely lost her voice in that same day as well. To me breathing sounds phlemy, but could be gurgly? Ugh. Sometimes I can hear it across the house (she's inside out of the cold).

Last edited:
Hmmm. It really doesn't seem to me like it could be gapeworm since the only symptom is difficulty breathing and the fenbendazole would have gotten rid of them. It also seems unlikely that it's an infection since she's otherwise doing well. If she's been with your old flock for months they've definitely been exposed to any and all parasites she has, so the good news is it's likely not contagious or your old flock has good immunity to whatever it is already. It could be fungal or it could be an internal issue... something pressing on her trachea for example, but not sure why it would suddenly get worse with cold weather, unless she started eating a lot more than usual and a large crop is making the problem worse. I'd take her to a vet, but I'm guessing that's not an option. Sorry I can't be more help, and please let me (and everyone) know how she does.

Oh, and if you do treat with valbazen it's 1/2 ml for standard size birds and 1/4 ml for bantam (0.08 ml per pound if you want to be exact), but I don't think it's necessary as the fenbendazole should have killed any gapeworm.

It also could be a chronic heart issue, though I hope that's not the case. If she has an enlarged or defective heart it could be leaking fluid into her lungs. Her breathing would get worse in the cold weather as her heart pumps harder to keep her warm.

It also could be a chronic heart issue, though I hope that's not the case. If she has an enlarged or defective heart it could be leaking fluid into her lungs. Her breathing would get worse in the cold weather as her heart pumps harder to keep her warm.
That's a possibility. Eventually, the comb will lose its color and darken due to the loss of blood flow.
Additionally, it could be a heart valve going bad. A way to tell if it's a bad heart valve is for the person to put his ear on the side of the bird and listen for a "clicking" sound.

That's a possibility. Eventually, the comb will lose its color and darken due to the loss of blood flow.
Additionally, it could be a heart valve going bad. A way to tell if it's a bad heart valve is for the person to put his ear on the side of the bird and listen for a "clicking" sound.
Thank you so much! I will try that!

Hmmm. It really doesn't seem to me like it could be gapeworm since the only symptom is difficulty breathing and the fenbendazole would have gotten rid of them. It also seems unlikely that it's an infection since she's otherwise doing well. If she's been with your old flock for months they've definitely been exposed to any and all parasites she has, so the good news is it's likely not contagious or your old flock has good immunity to whatever it is already. It could be fungal or it could be an internal issue... something pressing on her trachea for example, but not sure why it would suddenly get worse with cold weather, unless she started eating a lot more than usual and a large crop is making the problem worse. I'd take her to a vet, but I'm guessing that's not an option. Sorry I can't be more help, and please let me (and everyone) know how she does.

Oh, and if you do treat with valbazen it's 1/2 ml for standard size birds and 1/4 ml for bantam (0.08 ml per pound if you want to be exact), but I don't think it's necessary as the fenbendazole should have killed any gapeworm.
Thank you very much for the information! 😊

Wow, this makes sense to me since she's had this symptom since she was little and it gets worse when she's agitated. Thank you so much for the info! Would you happen to know of any prognosis? Just eventually dying of a heart attack or would it get progressively worse? Thank you!

Wow, this makes sense to me since she's had this symptom since she was little and it gets worse when she's agitated. Thank you so much for the info! Would you happen to know of any prognosis? Just eventually dying of a heart attack or would it get progressively worse? Thank you!
I definitely hear a click when I listen to her, but I was mostly distracted by the insanely rapid beating of her heart. 😬 Her breathing is the worst yet today. 💔 May have to say bye to "Baby" far sooner than I'd hoped!!

Back
Top Bottom