Normal Poop?

LZapoli

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
4 minutes ago
I have had a Rollercoaster of emotions with my first Chick's. I am wondering if this is normal poop. A little background info. Got them when they were 1-3 weeks old. Had 7, 2 died of being to hot, got that figured out, then one was sneezing when we got her, before I could get some antibiotics in, she dirs. Started them on Amoxy-Tylon 7 days, another one died, probiotics and electrolytes for 2 days, then gave them Baytril, it knocked out the respiratory infection for the last 3. Today is day 2 of another round of electrolytes and probiotics. They go outside for a few hours a day, weather permitting. They were not vaccinated when I purchased. Yesterday morning I saw a little red in one poop, today I see little more in one poop. Is this normal, should I now treat with with corid? These poor girls have had so much antibiotics and everything else I have been told to treat them with. But they all seem to be doing so much better, and now this. Ugh. I was so happy to save these Girls, so hoping it is not Coccidiosis. Please let me know asap what I need to do. Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20240430_125013.jpg
    20240430_125013.jpg
    803.2 KB · Views: 54
There are much better, since the antibiotics a for thr respiratory infection. One still has one eye that is almost to 100%. She is eating, drinking, pecking and scratching. Seem to get a little puffed up and naps, but not anywhere like she was a week ago. I think she was on the brink of death a week ago, couldn't even open one eye, the others were weezing and also on the brink of death, so compared to a week ago. They are 97% better.

How often do they shead the lining? Is there more I should be watching for?

And thanks for the quick response!!

A little background info. Got them when they were 1-3 weeks old. Had 7, 2 died of being to hot, got that figured out, then one was sneezing when we got her, before I could get some antibiotics in, she dirs. Started them on Amoxy-Tylon 7 days, another one died, probiotics and electrolytes for 2 days, then gave them Baytril, it knocked out the respiratory infection for the last 3. Today is day 2 of another round of electrolytes and probiotics. They go outside for a few hours a day, weather permitting.

Yesterday morning I saw a little red in one poop, today I see little more in one poop. Is this normal, should I now treat with with corid? These poor girls have had so much antibiotics and everything else I have been told to treat them with. But they all seem to be doing so much better, and now this.

Seem to get a little puffed up and naps, but not anywhere like she was a week ago.
How old are the chicks?

Possible the antibiotics have disrupted the gut and is causing the poop to look like that. Baytril is strong.

If you have puffed up chicks and poop like that, I'd treat for Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Once finished with the Corid, get the chicks on probiotics.

*****Not sure what the links for 3 or 4 minutes ago are for?? Private conversation and pm I suppose.
If you wish to share what's being discussed in private, then post publicly.

How old are the chicks?

Possible the antibiotics have disrupted the gut and is causing the poop to look like that. Baytril is strong.

If you have puffed up chicks and poop like that, I'd treat for Coccidiosis.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

Once finished with the Corid, get the chicks on probiotics.

*****Not sure what the links for 3 or 4 minutes ago are for?? Private conversation and pm I suppose.
If you wish to share what's being discussed in private, then post publicly.
I don't have any idea. I think it is all public. , unless I am not using the treads right. I did get one post deleted, because I guess I posted a duplicate. I am not real tech savvy. I apologize.

I have one that puffs up when she is inside, but when she goes outside she isn't. She is eating, drinking, scratching and pecking. But it won't hurt to treat with corid, just in case. Thanks, appreciate you!!

Oh and one is now 4 weeks, think he is a Roo, is eating, drink scratching, pecking, and pooping fine, then 2 are 6 weeks, one is fine, the other is the one that was the sickest, eyes swollen shut, diarrhea. She is alot better now, one eye is 100%, other I think will be 100% tomorrow, she is the one that puffs up sometimes during the day when inside the house, but is fine when outside. I have only seen the poop in the picture once today, this morning. No other poops today had any, or looked like that. I will see in the morning if there is any. I did put them on corid as you suggested today. Thanks for the info.

Photos of the birds?

Eyes swollen shut? Have you cleaned/flushed the eyes, removed pus and applied an eye ointment?

Sounds like you ended up with sick birds. Where did they come from?

Back
Top Bottom