NOT LAYING!!

karenm52

Songster
6 Years
May 14, 2018
SF Bay Area - East Bay
i got 3 amaeracunas (sp?!?!) in september. they started laying daily in February.
now, not so much! i only get one a day and i’m not sure from which one. is any
one else experiencing this? i have to think its the feed. i use Scratch& Peck, which
i believe is good quality.

How old are they?

Which feed specifically are you using? If it's a mash, are you fermenting or feeding it wet to ensure they're eating everything and not just picking out favorite bits?

S&P labels their cracked & whole grain feeds as "mash" so their bag and tags will reflect that - I just verified it on both my starter and grower bags.
I looked up the

Scratch and Peck Feeds Organic Chicken & Duck Feed 18% Layer Mash, 40-lb bag​

The photo shows a mash as being cracked grains. You just can't trust anything in advertising.

i have to think its the feed. i use Scratch& Peck, which
i believe is good quality.
With cracked grains like that they can still pick out their favorites and leave the rest which means they may not be getting a true balanced diet. You can counter that by letting them run out before you refill so they finish it off. @rosemarythyme do you have any issues with that.

i got 3 amaeracunas (sp?!?!) in september. they started laying daily in February.
now, not so much! i only get one a day and i’m not sure from which one.
I'm not convinced it is the feed. I'll go through my usual list.

One possible reason they aren't laying is that they are molting, either a full or partial molt. The days getting shorter in the fall is not the only cause of molting. There are several different things that can stress them and start a full or partial molt. Are you seeing a fair number of feathers floating around?

A real common cause of you thinking they are not laying is that they are hiding a nest. This is pretty common.

Is something getting the eggs? Many things will eat eggs but most leave signs behind like egg shell or wet spots. Some critters that North America that do not leave signs are snakes, canines, and humans. A snake eats some eggs and goes off to digest them. I've had snakes eating eggs. They only come every two or three days, not every day. So as this is consistent it's probably not a snake.

A canine like a coyote or fox would probably be more interested in your chickens but a dog might eat eggs and leave the chickens alone. Does a dog have access?

A human does not necessarily mean a stranger or even a thief. Sometimes it is somebody close playing a practical joke.

So what can you do? That depends on how you manage them. If they free range you can lock them in the coop and run for a couple of days. If you get eggs you know they are either hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eating critter.

You can put a small mark on an egg and leave it down there. If it disappears something is getting some of your eggs.

Sometimes they just take breaks from laying. In your case I don't know why they would but there is a lot I don't know.

Good luck!

With cracked grains like that they can still pick out their favorites and leave the rest which means they may not be getting a true balanced diet. You can counter that by letting them run out before you refill so they finish it off. @rosemarythyme do you have any issues with that.
I don't, because I ferment it. Whole/cracked grain feeds should be served wet or fermented so the grains clump and the fines (the powdered vitamins and minerals) stick to the grains, to ensure birds are eating the whole feed and not just picking out preferred bits.

I looked up the

Scratch and Peck Feeds Organic Chicken & Duck Feed 18% Layer Mash, 40-lb bag​

The photo shows a mash as being cracked grains. You just can't trust anything in advertising.

I'm not convinced it is the feed. I'll go through my usual list.

One possible reason they aren't laying is that they are molting, either a full or partial molt. The days getting shorter in the fall is not the only cause of molting. There are several different things that can stress them and start a full or partial molt. Are you seeing a fair number of feathers floating around?

A real common cause of you thinking they are not laying is that they are hiding a nest. This is pretty common.

Is something getting the eggs? Many things will eat eggs but most leave signs behind like egg shell or wet spots. Some critters that North America that do not leave signs are snakes, canines, and humans. A snake eats some eggs and goes off to digest them. I've had snakes eating eggs. They only come every two or three days, not every day. So as this is consistent it's probably not a snake.

A canine like a coyote or fox would probably be more interested in your chickens but a dog might eat eggs and leave the chickens alone. Does a dog have access?

A human does not necessarily mean a stranger or even a thief. Sometimes it is somebody close playing a practical joke.

So what can you do? That depends on how you manage them. If they free range you can lock them in the coop and run for a couple of days. If you get eggs you know they are either hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eating critter.

You can put a small mark on an egg and leave it down there. If it disappears something is getting some of your eggs.

Sometimes they just take breaks from laying. In your case I don't know why they would but there is a lot I don't know.

Good luck!
i have a 12x4x6’ coop enclosed w/1/4” hardware mesh. seems two girls are only laying every other day. i have rats but don’t think they are the culprit since the laying pattern is consistent. they are spoiled but i do make sure they eat their grain first before treats. they can’t have a hidden nest because their area is contained. and, no, not molting either. sigh. thank you for the advice. appreciated.

i have a 12x4x6’ coop enclosed w/1/4” hardware mesh. seems two girls are only laying every other day. i have rats but don’t think they are the culprit since the laying pattern is consistent. they are spoiled but i do make sure they eat their grain first before treats. they can’t have a hidden nest because their area is contained. and, no, not molting either. sigh. thank you for the advice. appreciated.

Attachments

• A7F8497E-342F-4426-B976-D76F10D6152F.png
    A7F8497E-342F-4426-B976-D76F10D6152F.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 3
Thanks for including the photo - is the run always covered up with panels like that? Do the chickens stay in there all day? If yes to the above, the lack of light may be why you have reduced laying, as chickens need a certain amount of light daily to trigger laying.

Back
Top Bottom