OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there!

Suburban chicken "farmers" here. We live in Loveland, OH . . .in Hamilton County (yes, we are still paying stadium taxes for our beloved Reds and Bungles). Anyway, we are just west of the Little Miami River a few blocks from the bridge in downtown Loveland. We have a flock of 11 currently and are averaging about 1/2 dozen eggs a day (mid winter). Our flock currently has Dominiques, Buckeyes, Light Brahmas, Easter Eggers, and a Cream Legbar and Welsummer each. Been doing this about a year and love it.

Last edited:
Suburban chicken "farmers" here. We live in Loveland, OH . . .in Hamilton County (yes, we are still paying stadium taxes for our beloved Reds and Bungles). Anyway, we are just west of the Little Miami River a few blocks from the bridge in downtown Loveland. We have a flock of 11 currently and are averaging about 1/2 dozen eggs a day (mid winter). Our flock currently has Dominiques, Buckeyes, Light Brahmas, Easter Eggers, and a Cream Legbar and Welsummer each. Been doing this about a year and love it.
Hello fellow Buckeye!

Okay NEOH peeps, help me work this out. We all know about the upcoming frigid temperatures. I am in Northeast Ohio. I'm struggling with adding more bedding and keeping them in their coop, versus trying to bring them in the garage and stress them as well. Will they be actually warmer in their smaller coop with extra bedding, or do I put them into the garage with a heater? I feel like they have a better chance of staying warm if they're in a smaller space versus the garage. I have no way of bringing the whole coop inside. Half of the run is wrapped in a tarp, and the coop is pretty sturdy although not insulated. They are good about going inside when it's very cold, so I'm not worried about that. I always leave the chicken door open for a little bit of extra ventilation, and they like to come and go. I'm just afraid that bringing them into the garage might be more stressful and not actually better for them.

Okay NEOH peeps, help me work this out. We all know about the upcoming frigid temperatures. I am in Northeast Ohio. I'm struggling with adding more bedding and keeping them in their coop, versus trying to bring them in the garage and stress them as well. Will they be actually warmer in their smaller coop with extra bedding, or do I put them into the garage with a heater? I feel like they have a better chance of staying warm if they're in a smaller space versus the garage. I have no way of bringing the whole coop inside. Half of the run is wrapped in a tarp, and the coop is pretty sturdy although not insulated. They are good about going inside when it's very cold, so I'm not worried about that. I always leave the chicken door open for a little bit of extra ventilation, and they like to come and go. I'm just afraid that bringing them into the garage might be more stressful and not actually better for them.
I'm worried too myself down here. I'm putting extra bedding out and hoping for the best. My coop isnt insulated either. Im hoping they will get along for a couple days and huddle together. Our is 8X8 and I have 17 large breed chickens. I dont really have any other options. I do have a heat lamp from when they were babies but I'm afraid it will start a fire

Ya gonna be cold!!! Your chickens will be fine in the coop as long as there is no heavy draft. My biggest problem is keeping water from freezing

I would keep them in their coop with extra bedding. As long as it is draft free, and they have plenty food and water they can get to.

They are in the coop with extra bedding and the chicken door closed almost all the way. It's the only time I've ever closed it. I'm working at home tomorrow so I'll open it in case they want to come out, but I can keep an eye on them. They have a heated hanging waterer and half the run is tarped. I've done what I can and they are hardened against the cold.

They are in the coop with extra bedding and the chicken door closed almost all the way. It's the only time I've ever closed it. I'm working at home tomorrow so I'll open it in case they want to come out, but I can keep an eye on them. They have a heated hanging waterer and half the run is tarped. I've done what I can and they are hardened against the cold.
How they doing today? I had two frozen eggs and I had to change out waterer

Back
Top Bottom