Orpington babies

I just googled Rhode Island red chicks and wow, I think you're right on with that one... The breeder was done hatching for the year except for 75 rhode island red chicks for someone. He agreed to my late-season order of a mix of wyandottes and orpingtons but half of my eggs didn't hatch. I ended up with a barred rock i wasn't expecting, and possibly a RIR! Not that I mind having either of these, just not what I was planning on. What is a RIR personality? (s)he seems pretty friendly

homecatmom, at three weeks old there should be practically NO comb or wattle development on a pullet chick. And not to mention that the wattles are even starting to pinken up. Then there are the legs that seem a bit on the thick side as well.
Nugget, that may be part RIR, but it isnt pure. RIRs have yellow legs and that one has pinky-white legs like an Orpington should, but with RIR coloring on the body. If it's RIR mixed with Orp, should be a friendly bird, but they are individuals. I have a pullet who has a RIR father and Buff Orp mother and she is a flaming redhead with pinky legs and is super friendly. Here is Meg:
DCP_7749.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that is a boy. It's comb devlopment is pretty strong there. Also looks RIR like, but what's up with his white legs? RIR legs are yellow but it could be the lighting. Cute little guy.

Meg is lovely.

I sure hope there's at least 1 female in that order! I'm starting to worry
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom