Our DIY tractors & 60 CX.

figit

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 23, 2017
My wife, sons and I have been working on a pair of these tractors for a few weeks and finally transitioned our batch of 60 CX out over the weekend. So far so good although we've yet to run the gutter troughs for fermented feed. To date they've primarily been on FF, for now I'm just laying out a thick line of FF on the grass in the morning & afternoon while leaving the dry feed buckets in all day and pulling them at night.

These 12G $19 sale igloo coolers from walmart are working great to feed the plasson bulbs. They don't have a drain but were easy to tap, working on shelves to hang them off the rear. I had planned on wrapping them with a shroud of spare roofing but even baking in the sun all day the water stays cool.

I had a roll of 1/8" HDPE that I cut down to strips and attached via roofing nails to the rears which help is slide along the dew covered grass in the mornings quite well. I had planned on eventually adding wheels with a lever/fulcrum via some scrap from an old bed-frame but they are gliding on this HDPE well enough to where I think I'll leave it be.

chicken-tractor.jpg

chicken-tractor-rear.jpg

chicken-tractors-loaded.jpg

I love it! Any idea how much it weighs?

Thanks! No idea on weight, it hadn't been much of a concern because we had planned on adding wheels but without that rear 2x4 catching on anything it slides well so far even in tall grass. We've had them outside for a few weeks before putting the chickens in just to weather the wood & make sure panels didn't leak. Like clowns we dragged them around pretending to be moving chickens : o )

When this batch is processed I think we might add strips down the sides and front to further help it slide while offering a bit of an anti-dig barrier.

Back
Top Bottom