Pea Gravel in my Chicken Run OK?

iwannagofishin

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 14, 2012
I've been lurking and reading for about 3 weeks. And I have three 4-week old chicks in the garage. Coop is built and they're moving in tomorrow. (and out of my garage :))

Part of their run used to be a patio extension that had been made with paving stones. So there is lots of left over pea gravel just below the surface of the ground. (about 2 inches below the surface) I'm worried about the birds swallowing the gravel. Is this a valid concern?

Thanks for the patience with my rookie question.

KP

I personally wouldn't. I've had a hen crack her beak right down the center on a rock along side the house. Luckily i was able to clip and file it down and it grew back.

They also can choke, but I'm not quite sure if they would try and swallow rocks too big.

I really like sand. It's very easy to clean.

I personally wouldn't. I've had a hen crack her beak right down the center on a rock along side the house. Luckily i was able to clip and file it down and it grew back.
They also can choke, but I'm not quite sure if they would try and swallow rocks too big.
I really like sand. It's very easy to clean.

I hadn't thought about their beaks breaking. I was mainly concerned about them swallowing them. I've watched them enough to know that they'll eat anything.

Hello and welcome!

I can't say I share the concern about the gravel being dangerous. When chicks free range in a yard, there are plenty of things that are too big for them to eat, and if they manage to get it down it will most likely pass out the other end.

Back
Top Bottom