Pigeon pair keep breaking their eggs

Pics

Mihai

Crowing
Jan 1, 2020
Singureni, Romania
I have a pair of American homer pigeons( both are hatched in my loft), she is silver, 3 years old and hatched some pairs from her, him is split for silver and is a hatch from last year's summer( he is almost 1 year old). They are paired up separate in a breeding box, they had until now 3 pairs of eggs but he keeps breaking the eggs with his feet( steps on them)

Is it because he has no experience or he is just a bad cock pigeon? Any suggestions?

I had a pair that I was having trouble getting viable eggs from. One of the last issues I had was that the one egg the hen laid got broken. After some adjustments, they have a baby right now. I ended up adding oyster shell to their breeding cage to make sure the hen had enough calcium to produce eggs with strong shells. You could try that.

Also see if your male might need a nail trim. Are the shells getting punctured like his nail is going through it?

I have a pair of American homer pigeons( both are hatched in my loft), she is silver, 3 years old and hatched some pairs from her, him is split for silver and is a hatch from last year's summer( he is almost 1 year old). They are paired up separate in a breeding box, they had until now 3 pairs of eggs but he keeps breaking the eggs with his feet( steps on them)

Is it because he has no experience or he is just a bad cock pigeon? Any suggestions?
I have had the same problem with my Archangels. They keep on throwing all the nesting materials out so the nest has no padding so I have bought some nest liners that are quite soft that they can't remove. Also make sure they have a mixed grit for pigeons. It will have all the minerals in they need including calcium.

I had a pair that I was having trouble getting viable eggs from. One of the last issues I had was that the one egg the hen laid got broken. After some adjustments, they have a baby right now. I ended up adding oyster shell to their breeding cage to make sure the hen had enough calcium to produce eggs with strong shells. You could try that.

Also see if your male might need a nail trim. Are the shells getting punctured like his nail is going through it?
no, they have mixed grit with everything they want, she makes very strong shells. The eggs dont get punctured, he literally steps on the eggs and makes them kind of flat, sometimes it happends that a pigeon to step on the eggs and i hatched babys from that kind of eggs but him when it sees them flat he stroes them

Last edited:
I have had the same problem with my Archangels. They keep on throwing all the nesting materials out so the nest has no padding so I have bought some nest liners that are quite soft that they can't remove. Also make sure they have a mixed grit for pigeons. It will have all the minerals in they need including calcium.
they have mixed grit, i dont have nest liners at hand, just normal nesting

heres the pair
20200511_125659.jpg

they are having an egg, i think tomorrow they will make the second one

Last edited:
heres the pair
View attachment 2133722
they are having an egg, i think tomorrow they will make the second one
I don't see any nesting material in the nest bowl. You need to give them some straw or something in there to make it more cushioned. When mine build a nest, it's full of straw. If they don't build a nest themselves, then you need to do it for them. Eggs break all the time if there isn't enough nesting material.

I don't see any nesting material in the nest bowl. You need to give them some straw or something in there to make it more cushioned. When mine build a nest, it's full of straw. If they don't build a nest themselves, then you need to do it for them. Eggs break all the time if there isn't enough nesting material.
i always add nesting material(90% of time straws) but he kick it out. Maked them a bigger nest that is deeper so he cant kick them out, waiting to end with the eggs they have now because they will not adapt to the new nest so quickly and the eggs will get too cold and the embryo will die

Back
Top Bottom