Pine shavings on top of moist pine shavings?

OHMYCHICKIES

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Usually I clean out the coop once a month, but since we have about 3 feet of snow I didn't do it this month.

I see the pine shavings all wet (because of snowy feet) and I add more. The coop is raised with a linoleum floor. I also shovel a path outside for them to walk. They normally don't stay in the coop until it's time for bed. Is it okay for me to just add more pine shavings to absorb the moisture?

Yes, you can add more pineshavings but it will still be damp. Best thing to do is clean out the old, dry up the floor (with dry rags) and add new pineshavings with sprinkled DE.

so is Stall Dry a replacement to Pine Bedding? And do you have to change it out often? Can I put Stall dry on soil like a compost when I clean the coop?

big_smile.png
ahhh perfect, I'm gonna go check if my feed store carries it.

Thanks!!

I think it has DE in it along with a form of clay all made up in granules from what i remember reading on the bag. May be other things in it as well. It absorbs ammonia orders very well. also used it in our rabbit hutch nest boxes under their pine shavings to. its a bit pricey, but works well.

This the type we tried
http://www.absorbentproductsltd.com/stalldry_canada.htm

Charlie

Last edited:
As Monhonri suggests, you should clean up the old shavings, and start fresh. You could then add stall-dri to the new shavings to help absorb any future moisture that may accumulate, ie; snow tracked in. Why bother putting new dry shavings in with the old wet stuff, it would just be a waste.

wow. ours is $14.95 for a 40lb bag here, just got 2 bags today and they gave me a free one that the top was ripped open on, but it was basically a full bag..so i got 3 bags for about 30 bucks..this stuff helps keep fly's down to..

Charlie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom