Pipped through shell but not the membrane

Corey NC

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
North Carolina
Today is day 21. This chick pipped last night around 8:00 and took a huge chunk of egg but didn't go through the membrane. It's now been 10 hours and nothing has changed.

I have the humidity up at 70% and the membrane seems to be still moist but it is starting to pull away from the shell.

Should I be worried?

Hmmm....my gut instinct is to leave it be, but you could wet them membrane, or gently mist the egg to get the humdity around it back up and moisten the membrane-of course you dont want to open it to much and affect youother chicks humidity. Is the chick moving in there?

I can see a little movement and every once in a while I hear faint peeping but I don't know if that is from the pipped egg or one of the other eggs.

I am really worried about hurting the other eggs by helping this one. I am going to wait a little longer til it's been 12 hours and if there is still no progress I'll help.

My last hatch was like that. Both my standard eggs had a crack in the shell and one even had a chip fall off. After a full day with no other accomplishment, there was one dead for that same reason.......the poor thing suffocated in there. I was not sure why that happened, but i was not going to let it happen twice. So i went back out to the coop and chipped off a tiny bit. Just enough to be sure that the chick was gettin air to breath. I did also have to open the membrane too, Then i went to bed. In the morning the chick had made no pregress but was at least alive. So i helped BUT......the part of the shell on the chicks bottom, where its connected to the shell needs to dry up first. So if you do anything to help, dont pull that off. I think it dries up right away the air gets to it, and it will fall off on its own. mine is doing great and a week old. Trust your gut on when to help. Good luck
fl.gif

temps were a steady 100* everyonce in a while it would drop to 99.7 but that was the lowest ever got and only at the most for an hour or two.

I am going to help and then candle the other eggs.

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom