Please help! My chicken is very sick!

Mystyk

Hatching
12 Years
Jul 28, 2007
We have 4 ISA browns, just bought them about a week ago and they are around 9 weeks old. We have a great set-up, did everything the people we bought them from told us to and they have been with chickens for 17 years. Last night we noticed one of them was just sitting in one spot and not looking very well. The others were and are still fine. We put her in a box-seperated her from the others-and put some bedding, food and water in there with her. Her symptoms that we could see were shaking, breathing hard and fast, beak always open, not eating or drinking, barely moving, and can't stand. We thought we would lose her overnight, but she was still alive this morning. She now is only breathing what seems to be normally, but still cannot move or stand. She is always just sleeping and can barely even raise her head. Her poop is running white, and/or black. Can anyone please tell me what could be wrong, is there anything we can do for her or should we just put her down???? Could she have eaten something outside, or been bitten by something?? Please let me know!

her poop is runny because she isnt eating. she is probably tired because she has no energy from food and is dehydrated (why she keeps opening her mouth) i think she will be just fine if you peck her beak in water and then make her interested in food by pecking at it with your finger

put electrolytes/vit in her waterer...any bird panting excessively needs electrolytes (gatorade will do in a pinch)... if they were not on medicated starter as chicks she may be suffering from cocci which you can check with a faecal at the vet...

Last edited:
You can also add some unfiltered raw apple cider vinegar with the mother to their water. A lot of times you will just lose a chick no matter how hard you try or what you use. The main thing is good house keeping and prevention from the start but that is no guarantee.

:(Update-she just passed away! How very sad, I didn't realize it would affect me like that....she was drinking gatorade and water today, but that was about the only change. She still just layed there, bent forward most of the time, or on her side and would stand up once in a freat whilefor about 20 seconds. The last 2 times I tried to give her water, she would not take it and I had a feeling that she would not mae it through the night.....Thank you to the few who answered my original post.

Sorry about your chick.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom