Poopy butt balls

RUNuts

Smiling. I'm up to something.
7 Years
May 19, 2017
Swamps of Texas
I thought y'all were a little off when talking about trimming chicken butt fluff. Well, I joined you. Had a light red hen that was accumulating quite the poop ball. After a week, it hadn't been shed and I'll blame the cold weather. Finally christened a pair of scissors the poopy butt ball pair. You know the kindergarten blunt point kind? Almost as big as a small egg. The butt ball didn't annoy me half as much as the poop smeared eggs. And she was getting most of them.

So, thank all you for putting up with me. I now understand the issues. My apologies. Apparently, I fit right in.:wee

Yes, quite the weather lately. Got a snow day from work. 3 days of "snow" this winter. Yep, still old.

Getting the garden planned and need to go get some starter dirt. I'll wait until the "big thaw" tomorrow. Walked the girls and they found quite a few rolly pollies. Good stuff.

I think this is just getting me ready to order some more chicks. Mentally.

I have a Speckled Sussex who has quite the poopy butt. I was wondering if soaking her booty to remove the poop balls was good? Or is trimming the feathers best?
She's the only one that can't manage to stay clean.:rolleyes:

From my very limited knowledge and extensive internet reading, if washing does not get her back to normal a "sanitary trim" may be in order.

First time I heard that was at the Vet for the dog. My answer was "no trim, we want the whole bikini area shaved. Want to be beach ready!"

To answer you, try the washing. If repeatedly getting dirty, shave her butt. The washing worked for one of the other hens. Since it was so cold, we went straight to the scissors for this one. Having a helper to hold, quiet and comfort may be beneficial.

I have a Speckled Sussex who has quite the poopy butt. I was wondering if soaking her booty to remove the poop balls was good? Or is trimming the feathers best?
She's the only one that can't manage to stay clean.:rolleyes:

If repeatedly getting dirty, shave her butt.
Well, don't literally shave her butt :D
Just use scissors to trim off the poop holding feathers, 1/2" from skin, repeat until nothing sticks. If runny poops are to blame, there may be another issue.

@RUNuts Welcome to the club!!
We just need to get @IdyllwildAcres on board. :D

Well, don't literally shave her butt :D
Just use scissors to trim off the poop holding feathers, 1/2" from skin, repeat until nothing sticks. If runny poops are to blame, there may be another issue.

@RUNuts Welcome to the club!!
We just need to get [B]@IdyllwildAcres[[/B]/USER] on board. :D

I just got a two pack of new sharp scissors, one of which are to be designated chicken scissors and told my 11 year old that she will be holding her for the procedure. I just need to pick up some gloves

Ewe:sick

Gary

Back
Top Bottom